SOLVED How to stop volume automaximsing ?

Reaction score
My Dell Inspiron Model 1545/PP41L laptop came with Win7 Home Premium - the volume control used to automaximise. When the O/S got upgraded to Win10 Pro v1709, the volume still automaximised. It is out of warranty so Dell will not offer any free advice. Device Manager says that the audio driver is optimal. BIOS is the latest version. How can I gain control over the volume ?

Reaction score
Most Notebooks have Volume Control keys for hardware control, doesn't rely upon the OS. That also makes the volume issue problematic for users as there's 2 or more ways of controlling the volume. I usually set the hardware first then use the OS settings as needed. Check the keyboard, usually a combination of the Fn key plus another key with the same color marking, may be an Fx key, some may also have dedicated volume/play keys.

Reaction score
It looks like you hit the nail on the head !
There are F8 & F9 keys with sound symbols on them. I pressed the F9 key during the booting alarms and the noise stopped. When I muted the speakers, they stayed muted - even after rebooting.
Volume Automaximising has stopped !

Thank you SO MUCH

Ask a Question