How to stop Windows 10 adding %USERPROFILE%\Documents to Documents library?

Reaction score
I've been using windows 10 for a few months. In the past month or so, it has started adding %USERPROFILE%\Documents to my Documents library every time I log in. I don't want this to happen.

The directories I want in my Documents Library are
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Documents (default)
%USERPROFILE%\OneDrive\Documents
C:\Users\Public\Documents

I don't want %USERPROFILE%\Documents in the library because Windows and various applications put subdirectories there that I hardly ever need to look at (Scanned Documents, Fax, Downloads, etc.) I put my real documents in %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Documents .

For the past month or so, Windows 10 has added %USERPROFILE%\Documents to the Documents library every time I log it, and also made it the default save location. If I remove it from the library, it is added again next time I log in. How do I stop this happening?

Reaction score
Just to start the conversation, the Documents\Documents folder is one you created?

Exactly where are you seeing these library folders, in which section of the Explorer window?

Could any of these folders have been present in a prior OS install?

Reaction score
Yes, I created Documents\Documents.

The Documents library appears in the File Explorer window under in its usual position under "Libraries" in the Navigation pane on the left. Clicking on it opens it with contents as I described in the first post. (I usually access the Documents library by a shortcut from the desktop, but the behavior is the same via Start -> File Explorer.) The File Explorer menu item Navigation pane->Show libraries is checked.

Documents\Documents and C:\Users\Public\Documents were in a prior Windows 7 install. However the problem did not start until a few months after upgrading to Windows 10.

Reaction score
I will have to guess if you want a folder in the default Documents folder, the default folder will be included but I have not tested.

In Explorer, I show the library folders under "This PC". I can add the Libraries folder but it duplicates the other ones...

I did just notice if I enable the Library folder it shows Documents\Documents. Under This PC it just shows Documents. Why it works that way, I do not know but I see no way to remove the default Documents folder from the Library listing.

Ask a Question