How to stop Windows 10 from updating my video driver?

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Windows 10
Ver 1607
OS Build 14393.693

Windows insists on updating my NVidia graphic driver. I'd REALLY like this to stop; I'll decide when I want to update my video driver, thank you!

I've rolled back the driver, but, inevitably, Windows will update it again, sooner than later. I've hidden the driver so that Windows will not reinstall it, but that only lasts a while.

Any ideas how to make Windows stop this?

Thanks,

Starkman

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you using Professional, Enterprise?

If you are you could make use of the Group Policy Editor to set a ID rule to prevent any driver downloads updating the hardware associated with the ID.

If you have the correct version of Windows 10 to have access to the Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc then let us know and I or someone else can walk you through the steps.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have Nvidia cards in my machines (running 1607 726) and I also have GeForce Experience. Windows never tries to update my video drivers and hasn't since 1511. This could be:
GeForce tells me there is a new driver before Windows does and I therefore update it.
Windows, seeing GeForce there just doesn't try to update.

I am not a gamer. I have had no trouble at all with Nvidia drivers since before W10 arrived.

Reaction score
Should have stated: using Home Edition - no Group Policy editing for me!
Well, Windows updated the darned driver again on Valentines Day (no, I DON'T love you, Microsoft! No valentine for you!), but I rolled it back to the older version...again. It's been a few days now and Windows hasn't updated it, but I get the sneaky feeling it will here shortly.

Hek, what was it, a few versions back, Windows 10 had an option to tick that told Windows not to install third-party drivers. Well, that's gone, thank you very much. Oh well!

Regedit32

Reaction score
As a Home user you can manually over ride automatic driver updating via the Windows Registry.

Rather than stuff around inside the Registry Editor literally, do the following:
  • Right-click on Start and select Command Prompt (Admin)
  • When the User Account Control appears click Yes
  • When the Command Prompt: Administrator console appears type or copy & paste the following:

Code:
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v SearchOrderConfig /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000000

Press Enter key to execute

Close the console

Done!

Note: To restore this value back to its standard state and allow automatic updating of drivers type or copy & paste the following in the Command Prompt: Administrator console:

Code:
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v SearchOrderConfig /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Windows 10
Ver 1607
OS Build 14393.693

Windows insists on updating my NVidia graphic driver. I'd REALLY like this to stop; I'll decide when I want to update my video driver...

Try this...
In the search box type "system." <enter>
Click on ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS
Click the HARDWARE tab
Click on DEVICE INSTALLATION SETTINGS
Click the "no" button
Save changes.

Reaction score
Reaction score
I have the same problem when Windows updates insist on removing a "so-called" incompatible screen driver from my touchscreen tablet. I found a way around it by creating a desktop icon which runs a complete "unzip" of all the drivers I have backed up, restoring them to their correct folders. To make access easier, I pinned the batch file to the Taskbar, and so, after bootup from a new Windows Update, I simply click on the pinned Task and all the drivers are restored (including the ones Windows has deleted).

I am hoping Microsoft give an option when updating to seek comfirmation (via a Dialogue box at the time or via optional permanent permission or denial of permission) on whether drivers it finds (or THINKS) are incompatable are to be removed. I have been asking them to do this for 6 months now (I am a Windows Insider doing continual testing on upcomiong releases so I see a lot of problems).
Sometimes I wonder if they are taking notice, but if it ever happens, hopefully my suggestion "got through" to them! LOL

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Windows 10
Ver 1607
OS Build 14393.693

Windows insists on updating my NVidia graphic driver. I'd REALLY like this to stop; I'll decide when I want to update my video driver, thank you!

I've rolled back the driver, but, inevitably, Windows will update it again, sooner than later. I've hidden the driver so that Windows will not reinstall it, but that only lasts a while.

Any ideas how to make Windows stop this?

Thanks,

Starkman

Reaction score
This reminds me of the opposite problem which I have. I have a Sony Vaio with a Nvidia graphics card which is incompatible with W10. After much effort I was advised that the card will never be updated and I must run Windows 7 for all time. Did that situation ever change?
Thank you

Reaction score
I'm a gamer, and I often update my display driver. I use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). It gives you multiple options, and one of them is stopping Windows from updating your display driver in between a uninstall, and install of a new driver. You can find it at www.guru3d.com

Ask a Question