How to use Cortana with any browser except Edge

Reaction score
A recent update now forces Cortana to use Edge (and Bing) rather than my default Browser and Search Engine.

I know there must be a way to change this so I can use my defaults. Anybody found that way, yet? Please let us know what it is. Thanks.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Russell,

Microsoft announced they were planning on restricting Cortana searches to BIng and Edge browser because their development team are working hard to improve its functions and make it cross platform consistent.

They've taken this action to prevent time being wasted on people opening threads about Cortana not working in X which can otherwise be used to improve Cortana for Windows 10's future.

There is a way to roll back the change and I have no doubt someone will eventually post a link to the tool created by a third party. I won't be posting any information regarding this tool though as it contains Trojans either introduced by the Author of the software, or indirectly by the P2P websites offering the download.

I'd recommend you avoid making changes and instead learn to use Cortana in its new evironment.

In time Microsoft may change things again, when they are satisfied they have Cortana working as they hope for.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Obviously, I do not want malware added to my machines, and I will not attempt to download the software you mentioned. I do suspect, however, that the registry can edited to make the change ... no trojans involved. I'll be waiting for somebody to figure this one out. I really dislike Edge ... it feels slow and clunky compared to Chrome and even to Internet Explorer (though I see far too many crashes in IE). I do see, however, that MS is now allowing extensions in Edge in their Win 10 preview version build 14342. I'll take a look at that, and if the extensions that I need are available (I do have a preview version on one of my computers), I'll wait until July or whenever MS does their next major OS Update, which should contain the use of extensions in Edge.

Reaction score
I can't use Cortana ( no webcam) but am annoyed that if I click on any links in emails they automatically open in Edge although I, too, have set Chrome as my default browser.

Reaction score
What I want to know is when is M$ going to introduce the Menu Bar into the Edge browser, if ever?
I guess that is another "around tuit" that M$ has to find.

Regards all

Ask a Question