SOLVED How will an MS account work on Windows 10 home pc if my Internet connectivity is down ?

Reaction score
Let's say I ONLY have an MS account on my Windows 10 Home machine.
And I have things set up so every time it starts, I need to enter my password.
Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, works as Microsoft has advertised. (As far as I know. But hey, I don;t ask for much.)

Anyway, let say one morning I try to sign on to my pc and I find that my Time\Warner Internet is down. (Happens from time to time.)

What will I see ?
Will I be denied access to my pc completely ?
Or, will I still be able to log on and use my locally installed apps ? (IE: Word, Excel and others.)

Has anyone experienced this ?
What might I expect to happen and what might be my alternatives ?

IE:
Create a local account on the same pc and sign in what that until I Internet service is restored ?

Thanks

JustRay in Wisconsin

Reaction score
I just tried this. Shut down the PC. Unplugged the Ethernet cable. Rebooted. Logged on as usual with my MS account. I'd say the logon took a few seconds longer than usual. The Network icon showed no connectivity.
Onedrive could not update itself and of course I could not get new mail. Plugged in the cable and everything was back to normal in a few moments.

I think a better test would be to power down my router but that would have upset my better half. And I know that IPV4 would have come back but IPV6 would not have come back until the next RA packet had been sent by the ISP and I don't think that happens all that often.

Reaction score
Why thank you for your efforts my my behalf. I'm happy to learn that even without the INet connection you were able to sign on to the pc and "do", whatever you "could" do, sans the INet. Good new, for me. I have been having a devil of a time getting things like Cortana, Calendar and e-mail to work unless I use a MS account. (Even though I've read I should be able to sign in with a local account and then simply tell Cortana what MS account to use. All I ever get is "something went wrong. Try again later" unless I use a MS account from the get go. Since I don't have an issue using an MS account, that just seems to be the path of less resistance for me at this point. Thanks again for your efforts and reply. Both are greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question