SOLVED htm & mp3 file associations change since latest update version “1511”

Reaction score
I recently upgraded/updated Windows 10 Home with the Nov/Dec 2015 update version “1511”.

File associations for Web Browser and Music have always been Firefox and VLC
Player respectively, i.e. .htm files open in Firefox and .mp3 files open in VLC.

However, since the update version “1511”, every time I zip an mp3 file with WinZip, the file associations for Web Browser get removed and local .htm web pages get associated with Microsoft Edge, and mp3 files get associated with Groove. I then have to manually reset files back to Firefox and VLC through Settings / System / Default Apps and/or use Open With / always use this app to open this type of file.

Similarly, if I zip an .htm file with Winzip, then .htm files get changed from being associated with Firefox and become associated with Microsoft Edge [but mp3 files do not lose their association with VLC in this instance].

This behaviour did not occur before the major update version “1511”.

Is anyone aware of what is happening here? This behaviour does seem to be something that WinZip is doing as it does not happen with Explorer's zipping [but I use WinZip's self-extracting features so don't really want to dump it].

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK. WinZip removed for good and using 7-Zip which opens passworded files no problem. Solved.

Ask a Question