I can no longer play "The Neverhood" video game anymore after updating to Windows 10 Enterprise version 2004

Reaction score
In Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1909 I could play The Neverhood point and click, adventure, klay world video game by DreamWorks Interactive released in year 1996 by simply downloading the Neverhood.iso file from some website from the internet, then mount the file with Daemon Tools Lite application, and then both just and simply execute the nhc.exe binary file that can be found inside the setup folder after using Windows 95 compatibility mode of course.

Recently I have updated Windows 10 Enterprise to version 2004 and after doing all of the above, nhc.exe shows me a message box "Error reading CD-ROM".

I can't even install the game by using the setup95.exe binary file outside of the setup folder even with Windows 95 compatibility mode!

I also tried "Run as administrator" but to not avail at all!

I can't prevent nhc.exe from showing me this message box!

What's wrong with Windows 10 Enterprise version 2004!?

Considering to revert back to version 1909 of Windows 10 Enterprise!

Reaction score
It would not surprise me if I had a 24 years old piece of software that was not a Line of Business Application was suddenly not supported. I don't think it will be long before Windows stops running 32 bit apps at all for example. I am surprised that Office 2010 still runs.

Reaction score
I don't care that this game is 24 years old, because this game is still pretty good and that's why I still want to play it today in year 2020!

Reaction score
Hi Erez,

uninstall the game and then re-install using "compatibility-mode" please see the following link. :)

Reaction score
There are many compatibility modes and you also did not say which compatibility mode to use.

Also I already said that I used the Windows 95 compatibility mode and setup95.exe crashes when I click on the "Install" button.

Also in the older version 1909 I was not required to install/uninstall/reinstall the game at all.

Also I was not required to execute the setup95.exe binary file at all.

I could both completely and entirely ignore the setup95.exe binary file and just execute the nhc.exe binary file that can be found in the setup folder.

I do remember that I had to use Windows 95 compatibility mode to execute nhc.exe (in the setup folder) and then play The Neverhood game.

Otherwise nhc.exe just showed me the "Error reading CD-ROM" message box.

Now in version 2004, nhc.exe does show me the "Error reading CD-ROM" message box even with Windows 95 compatibility mode!

Reaction score
As it is such an old game, I would try Windows XP, if that fails, try one of the others!. :)

Reaction score
I have tried all the possible compatibility modes combinations on both setup95.exe binary file and nhc.exe binary file (inside the setup folder), but setup95.exe binary file still crashes and nhc.exe binary file (inside the setup folder) is still keeping showing me the "Error reading CD-ROM" message box.

Reaction score
Hi,

are you really using an installation disk or is it a copied .exe file?.:)

Well I don't remember exactly when, where and from which website exactly I downloaded the file, but the file that I downloaded is neverhood.rar and it's size is about either 600 or 700 MB.

neverhood.rar contains only neverhood.iso and when I use WinRar to extract neverhood.iso from neverhood.rar and then use Daemon Tools Lite to mount the extracted neverhood.iso then I see in the extracted neverhood.iso with Daemon Tools Lite "setup95.exe" binary file and "setup" folder.
In the "setup" folder I see "nhc.exe" binary file.
All this I see by using the "Windows File Explorer" application of course.

Do you think that neverhood.iso is a bad file and thus neverhood.rar that contains neverhood.iso is also a bad file too and thus I should try another download of this very old game from another website?

I don't think so at all, because in Windows 10 Enterprise version 1909 the "nhc.exe" inside the "setup" folder worked just fine only when I set compatibility mode to Windows 95.

Remember that I did not have to do anything with setup95.exe binary file at all.
I could both just, simply, safely and permanently delete the setup95.exe binary file and still be able to play The Neverhood game both just and simply by setting the compatibility mode of the nhc.exe binary file to Windows 95 and then both just and simply execute the nhc.exe binary file and that is all!

Obviously that Windows 10 Enterprise version 2004 is different from version 1909 and this difference makes the "nhc.exe" binary file inside the "setup" folder to not play The Neverhood game anymore but instead show me the "Error reading CD-ROM" message box even after setting it's compatibility mode to Windows 95.

Microsoft definitely changed something in version 2004 that I don't know at all what exactly it is and I want to know what they did change so I know what I have to/need to/must do to solve this annoying problem and start playing The Neverhood game by both just and simply executing the "nhc.exe" binary file in the "setup" folder as exactly like it was in version 1909!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Erez,

you could try creating a CD/DVD from the ISO file and then put that in your CD drive (assuming you have one) and executing the .exe file from the disk directly once you have created it?.

You can also upgrade Win 10 to the latest version which is 2009!. That might also help?. :)
I was not required to create any CD/DVD from any ISO file in Windows 10 Enterprise version 1909 at all.
I simply used Daemon Tools Lite edition to mount the iso file and then just executed the "nhc.exe" binary file inside the "setup" folder after setting it's compatibility mode to Windows 95 of course.

Are you telling me that now in version 2004 I have to create a CD/DVD from the ISO file in order to play the game? I don't like this solution very much.

Also I didn't know that there exists Windows 10 Enterprise version 2009 already!

Maybe version 2009 both corrected and fixed the mistake that version 2004 did!

Thank you, I will upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise version 2009 and then tell you if this solved this very annoying problem at all.

Reaction score
Are you telling me that now in version 2004 I have to create a CD/DVD from the ISO file in order to play the game? I don't like this solution very much.
Nope, I am just saying that; that is an option should you wish to try it!. :)

Reaction score
Nope, I am just saying that; that is an option should you wish to try it!. :)
Thanks for your advice, but I don't like to do anything else and different that I was not required to do before just in order to do exactly the same thing.

If could play The Neverhood game without dealing with any CD/DVD at all in version 1909 then I want to play The Neverhood game now in also in version 2004 without dealing with any CD/DVD at all.

Also in general I don't like to deal with any CD/DVD at all and I want to avoid this as much as possible.

What really bugs me is that exactly the same method to play The Neverhood game worked just fine in version 1909 but it doesn't work anymore in version 2004 and the purpose of this discussion is to find out the answer to the question: Why this method worked in version 1909, but it doesn't work anymore in version 2004? What makes version 2004 so different than version 1909 that makes this method not working anymore in version 2004? What Microsoft really did change in version 2004 that caused this method to not work anymore in version 2004? If I will have the answer to this question then I can find out what I should really do to make the old method work also in version 2004 and I will be able to play The Neverhood game with this old method that does not involve me with dealing with any CD/DVD at all!

Also I tried to update my Windows 10 Enterprise operating system from version 2004 to version 2009, but when I do so then Windows 10 Enterprise version 2004 says to me: "Thank you for updating to the latest version of Windows 10"

When I read this sentence then I thought that I am already at version 2009 but when I viewed "windows specifications" in "Settings => About your PC" then I read that my version is 2004.

I still get the impression that 2004 is still the latest version of Windows 10 and not 2009, but 2009 does not exist yet.

Can you please explain me this to me?

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are correct. 2004 is tha latest. Probably the remark from Wolfie was a typo, unless he is on one of the betas - I have very little up to date knowledge of those

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I don't care that this game is 24 years old, because this game is still pretty good and that's why I still want to play it today in year 2020!
You might want to try using Windows 10/10 Pro and not the Enterprise Edition as your main OS.

Or you can use a Linux distro on a bootable USB drive and boot from that and play your game.

Reaction score
You might want to try using Windows 10/10 Pro and not the Enterprise Edition as your main OS.

Or you can use a Linux distro on a bootable USB drive and boot from that and play your game.

Do you both think and believe that nhc.exe binary file inside the "setup" folder will play The Neverhood game (after setting it's compatibility mode to Windows 95 of course) in all the non-Enterprise editions of Windows 10 including Pro and Home? If yes then please explain me why you both think and believe so? What makes the Enterprise edition of Windows 10 so different than all the other editions of Windows 10 that makes the nhc.exe binary file inside the "setup" folder to not play The Neverhood game at all but instead just show me the "Error reading CD-ROM" message box even after setting it's compatibility mode to Windows 95? Also the previous Windows 10 operating system that I had whose version was 1909 whose edition was also Enterprise and the nhc.exe binary file inside the "setup" folder did play The Neverhood game with no problem at all after setting it's compatibility mode to Windows 95 of course so I both think and believe that you are totally wrong in both your thinking and belief.

The real problem is not with the edition of Windows 10, but with it's version, because the only change that I did was in the version of Windows 10, but not in the edition of Windows 10!

Previous Windows 10 edition was Enterprise and current Windows 10 edition is also Enterprise.

Reaction score
No idea what Neverhood is, but I googled and found this. It seems to have solved the problem for many players

Reaction score
No idea what Neverhood is, but I googled and found this. It seems to have solved the problem for many players

Thank you very much! I will watch this video tomorrow and then I will let you know if this video solved my problem at all!

Last edited:
Reaction score
In case you do decide to upgrade to the latest version of Win 10.

Please be aware that this page is directed toward the UK English version!. :cool:

Ask a Question