I can't get passed the W10 'Upgrade - Available' notification advice

Reaction score
Hi

My upgrade has arrived however when I click on the 'Upgrade Available' link the install hangs on the 'working on it' screen.

At one point this morning I received a message that said I need Administrator permission. No error code. I have not received this message again despite trying the link numerous times. I am an Administrator on the system.

Can anyone help?

Lenovo C30
W7 Pro 64 bit

Reaction score
Try this.......
Assuming you are now back on Win 7 Pro.

1. Download the media Creation Toll. Make sure you pick the correct bit version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/soft...?OCID=reserve_r_PostReserve_MediaCreationTool
2. Run the Tool.
Select Create installation media for another PC option. That creates a Win 10 ISO.
3. Right click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin. This method allows you to keep your files, settings and apps. You can choose to "keep nothing".
This method does not require product key.
I used the same method to install my 2 laptops.

Reaction score
Thanks for this davidhk129.

A week or so ago I tried the ISO way as I was not keen on waiting for the 'your update is ready' advice. I couldn't get that to work.

Last night I got passed the user agreement and let the computer run overnight and upon coming home from work today I could not get either of my monitors to respond (DELL U2415's) however the computer was still running. I tried to kill the power to the monitors and unplugging the DP cable but none of those things worked.

In the end I rebooted the machine. No sign of Windows 10 installed.

I mentioned the Admin permission issue. I think I got that wrong. It appears to be a conflict with a program I use: Lastpass. I have uninstalled it but it keeps trying to load at startup and I don't know how. Might be related, might not.

Also I have since come across the following error messages by looking at the Windows update control panel:

This afternoon I received error code: 8007007E and

Tonight I came across error code C1900101-20017.

This is getting most frustrating as the computer downloads the update every time the install fails. 14 attempts at 2.7GB + each time and still counting.

Do the error codes mean anything to anyone?

Thanks
Benso

Reaction score
If you have the Windows 10 ISO on USB or DVD boot to and use upgrade. many upgrade trying to use the mount method fail. also make sure YOU ARE NOT OVERCLOCKED. set all things back to DEFAULT.
if that fails.
boot to and open your properties to C:\ then disk clean and remove all restore points and old windows updates and upgrades.

Ask a Question