I can't see my cd drive

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Susan and welcome to the forum.
Does your optical drive show in File Explorer -> This PC?
Does it show up in Disk Management?
Does it show up in Device Manager?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You can right click the Windows Logo in the bottom left of your screen
or
You can hold the Windows Key on your keyboard and strike the X key
Both will produce the so called "power users menu"
From there you can launch both Device Manager and Disk Management
In Deice manager you should see
devmgmt.JPG

In Disk Management your should see
diskmgmt.JPG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well if it is not seen in device manager, nor in disk management that would mean that the Operating System does not know you have one installed.
The next place to look would be the BIOS to see if it sees an optical drive.
If not then you'll need to check the cable connections, power and interface (IDE or SATA)

Reaction score
Same issue here. The "optical drive" is showing in the BIOS and this SATA drive was working in Windows 7.
After going to Windows 10, it is as dead as Julius Caesar. The "add device" in the Device Manager does not find it either. May have to get out my grass skirt and rubber chicken for this one...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Man.... that is weird.
The only thing I can think of, if it is being seen in the BIOS but not in the OS (file explorer, device manager, disk management), would be a chipset driver on the motherboard that requires an update so Windows can see and use that controller bus.
OR....
The grass skirt and rubber chicken. :)

Reaction score
Same issue here. The "optical drive" is showing in the BIOS and this SATA drive was working in Windows 7.
After going to Windows 10, it is as dead as Julius Caesar. The "add device" in the Device Manager does not find it either. May have to get out my grass skirt and rubber chicken for this one...

Reaction score
Well if it is not seen in device manager, nor in disk management that would mean that the Operating System does not know you have one installed.
The next place to look would be the BIOS to see if it sees an optical drive.
If not then you'll need to check the cable connections, power and interface (IDE or SATA)

Reaction score
Well, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. I got into SATA and found the DVD drive and it was disabled. I thought I "enabled" it, but apparently I screwed up the boot disk. When next I turned it on, I was unable to boot up. Luckily I remembered F12 and went back to defaults. At this point I think I'll ask my friendly neighborhood computer guy to come over. I think it is worth the money. Anyway, thank you for all the help. I'd have never gotten this far.
Susan

Ask a Question