I don't have permission to copy my own files

Reaction score
I'm trying to back up my pictures, documents, music and downloads and it says I don't have permission. Any help appreciated.

Cheryl

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm trying to back up my pictures
You don't mention exactly, what software or method you are using for this task, but.....
Based on the thread title it sounds like you are trying to copy them from one location to another.
IF you go to C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents and with that container open and using your keyboard strike Ctrl + A (that should select all ) and then Ctrl + C (that should copy "all" to clipboard)
Do you get an error message right away
OR
Does the error message occur when you try to paste them to your archive location.
Try creating a new folders, call it Docs_Bkups, open that up and then use Ctrl + V to paste everything from the clipboard to the new folder

Reaction score
Windows 10.
I'm just copy and pasting. I did manage to paste them but it says I don't have permission to view them.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You'll likely need to check the properties of the parent container, it sounds like where ever you're putting the files is inheriting properties from the parent.
Right click and choose properties
Security tab, use the advanced button to
Take Ownership, Disable inheritance and explicitly add your user account with full permissions.
Make sure that when you take ownership that you cascade it down to all child objects
Likewise when you add your account to the permission entries check the box to "Replace all object permissions with inheritable permissions entries from this object.
NOTE: When you click the "Disable inheritance" button make sure to use the "Convert" option.

Ask a Question