I have a weird one for you all

Reaction score
Don't know if this has been covered, but the problem I have is threefold. First off, I have Windows 10.1, fully updated. I am on an ASUS Q501L. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 via the freebie. Wasn't having any issue like this until recently. Perhaps after a Windows update, I'm not sure. I have disabled Windows Updates and I check periodically for updates as I do not like the "We will decide what and when to install your updates, screw you!" updates that seem to add software not pertaining to my laptop, like the mouse drivers. I also don't like this feature because sometimes I use my phone as a hotspot and updating software on mobile data when I am limited as it is kinda defeats the purpose of Personal in PC. I cannot go back to 8.1 as I deleted the 20+GB of storage. Anyways, on to the problems.

Problem #1: First problem I noticed was when I hit Shutdown after a while using my computer the computer would go through the normal routine of shutting down, the screen would go black and everything seems to be off, but the LED is on where it signifies that the computer is still on and the light for the power button is still on. I listen to the computer where the hard drive is and there is a steady whirring, but the hard drive LED never flickers or flashes or is holding any steady light.

Problem #2: Every so often, after long periods of time on the computer, my computer would just turn off. I mean completely turn off, as if it was told to shut down but instead of going through the process of shutting down, dialogue on the screen, etc., the computer just shuts off. Now, I have power settings set to NEVER for both plug and battery. And I also have the Windows Update setting set to Notify To Schedule Restart. So, there isn't a problem there.

Problem #3: This is simple to say and it happens most of the time. When I click Restart, the computer says Restarting, but then, it completely shuts down. So, basically I have been using the Restart option to shut down since shut down actually no longer works for some apparent reason.

I HAVE backed up all my files, pictures, videos, made a list of everything I want to put back into my computer, and have copied my serial key for Windows 10 and have downloaded Windows 10 ISO and saved to a thumb drive from the Microsoft website. So, I am ready to restore my computer completely, but I am hoping to fix these issues instead of restoring my computer to factory. And actually, I would replace my hard drive with a new, larger capacity one.

So those are my issues. I am hoping someone will be able to help me. Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
I have not wished to try it, but, as I read on the web, altering the update schedule in Windows 10 requires a registry hack?

I also read that this has, in many cases, caused problems, particularly when new updates come along.

Could be the problem in your case?

Reaction score
If you're using a registry hack to block updates, you are risking issues. If you have 10 pro, it's much less intrusive to use the group policy editor to stop auto updates. You can set it like previous versions. Notify to download and install, auto download and schedule install, etc. You also have to do this at your own risk, but it's a lot less risk than editing the registry. You'll have to google how to do it.

Reaction score
Changing settings in the Group policy does, in fact, correspondingly change the registry. Certainly an easier and safer way to do it, but still risky when further updates come along.

Reaction score
No, no hack. Just disabled Windows Updates in Services. I have gone back to it many times over several weeks and it never turns itself back on. If this is Microsoft's way of saying "Don't turn it off or we'll do this!" then I think I will be leaving Windows for good. PC means Personal Computer, not Microsoft Computer. I don't want to be interrupted when I am doing something on the computer and I don't want to have to keep on uninstalling the same drivers and software that has nothing to do with my PC. Microsoft still hasn't fixed this or gotten the memo that this is NOT what we want. To me it's intrusion. I don't know of any other software or computer that forces updates on you without your knowledge. Even in iOS and Android you can choose what to install (well, regarding apps), but you still get nag screens every so often (with OS updates, except for iOS, they just show a red notification badge on System icon). I just want my computer to go back the way it was, with 8.1 or 7 when I can hide updates and never be bothered again by them. It's ridiculous to have these updates and you have to uninstall every other day and reinstall the proper software so everything starts working again. I am sorry for the rant. Please forgive me. I have just been fed up with the route Microsoft has taken. It's more bothersome than anything.

Reaction score
Oh, and I don't mess with the registry nor do I have any hacks of any kind on my PC. Just plain old Windows 10.1 Home that's never worked properly from day one. I can do a clean install, but from what I've read, that doesn't do a thing. People are still having multiple issues. Especially with the COM Surrogate bug that seemed to carry over from the major 10.1 update. I don't suppose we will see a fix for that until the next major update? Maybe 10.2?

Reaction score
Anyone there? I turned windows update back on but that didn't seem to fix any of the issues. Bios is normal. No viruses. No malware. Windows up to date. Shut down hangs my computer. Restart shuts down my computer. And my computer turns itself completely off after long periods of use. Doesn't matter what I am doing. It shuts off without warning. It did it the other day. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I'd do a clean install of Windows 10. Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you other than reinstall Windows 8.1. If you deleted your partition, you'll have to find someone with the disc, and use the key off the sticker on your the bottom of your laptop.

Reaction score
My BIOS version is 212 for my model. I think if they were having trouble with the BIOS they would have come out with a new version by now. The recent BIOS 212 came out in August last year. I guess I could go back to 209 which was the previous one to see if that works, but I am not sure if it will fix the issue. I will try it though.

Reaction score
Ok, I'm back to 209. We will see if that works. However, I don't think that was the cause because my computer was acting fine long after I upgraded to 212. Only until recently had it been acting up like this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK....
Was just passing along some information that I thought might be helpful.
Keep us posted as to how thing progress

Reaction score
I would love to go back to 8.1 but there is no sticker on my laptop on the bottom. Never had one. I guess ASUS doesn't do that for some reason. Getting the software is easy, getting the key, well, that might be hard. Maybe I can get one from a friend who works for Microsoft as a vendor.

Ask a Question