I Knew There Would Be An Issue

Reaction score
Decided to use the .iso disk to upgrade my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Decided on a clean install and when the installation got underway and I was given the option I formatted the drive and proceeded with the install guessing the necessary files had been gathered to activate. Got to the page to insert activation key and tried my Windows 8.1 key and it didn't work. Tried skipping it and now I can't get Windows 10 to activate. It sent me to the store but no joy there as it says I need to purchase a key. The activation page shows my current key as some X's and a 5 letter/number combination. I don't have any keys with the last letter/number combination they show so I have no idea what the key is from or how to find the rest of it. I figured after reading the how to on upgrading I could do a clean install but apparently it's not working or formatting the drive is not part of the process..

I formatted the drive during install so the Windows 8.1 installation is gone and it appears I cannot activate my upgrade. I'm lost now and am thinking my recourse is to format the drive and reinstall my Windows 8.1 to start all over.

Reaction score
It is my understanding that you actually have to upgrade to get the key, so you can then do a clean install.

Reaction score
Once again Todo backup has leaped to my rescue. I had done both a system and a partition backup on the 27th so I picked up a cheapo SSD at Staples and used my Todo boot disc and installed a partition backup of Win 8.1 to it. Formatted the drive with Win 10 that wouldn't activate and used Todo to clone my Win 8.1 install to it. I now have a complete, working Win 8.1 installed on the SSD drive I want to upgrade to Windows 10. This time I won't use the format option so I'm about to see if I can upgrade and activate Windows 10. Be back soon to let you know how it worked.

Reaction score
Here I am with Windows 10 installed and once again activation is not working. I don't know if it is a wait and it will activate later or if it will not activate at all. Kind of hesitant at the moment to start installing any programs other than Firefox in case activation is broken.

Reaction score
Did you have the update notification on Windows 8.1? I'm wondering if following the link is necessary for the upgrade.

Reaction score
I used an iso disc to do the deed. I just spotted over on the Insider Program page that Microsoft is apparently having a problem with the activation function and they are working to get it fixed. Guess I'll just hang around for awhile to see what happens.

Reaction score
From my understanding, you don't use your Windows 7/8 key to activate.

You NEED to do an upgrade first. This will automatically activate. You can then use the key from that upgrade to do a clean installation.

I don't know if this key is "portable" or will only work on that exact hardware. Not much of an upgrade if a non-OEM installation key ends up tied to a single PC's hardware. It will definitely burn a lot of people when the free upgrade period is over.

Reaction score
You NEED to do an upgrade first. This will automatically activate. You can then use the key from that upgrade to do a clean installation.
It is my understanding that the upgrade stores the key on your hardware, therefor you don't actually get or need the key to clean install. All future installs will retrieve the stored key and activate automatically.

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the upgrade stores the key on your hardware, therefor you don't actually get or need the key to clean install. All future installs will retrieve the stored key and activate automatically.
But that makes the Windows 10 install an OEM install - you can't move the installation, nor upgrade the hardware in the PC.

Reaction score
It is free but not free without restrictions. If you don't want the restrictions, then perhaps you can purchase retail. It is about upgrading the current install, not upgrading/degrading your OS license. If you want to change devices, you will need to follow the upgrade path again (which is limited to the first year).

Ask a Question