I Lost my contact list from Windows 7 after downloading Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Typically, when someone mentions a "contact list" they are talking about an address book or a list of people they generally email to.
Can you advise, which program / email client you were using that contained said list?
AND
Have you setup and configured the same email program or minimally the "Mail" universal app in Windows 10?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Typically, when someone mentions a "contact list" they are talking about an address book or a list of people they generally email to.
Can you advise, which program / email client you were using that contained said list?
AND
Have you setup and configured the same email program or minimally the "Mail" universal app in Windows 10?

Reaction score
Thanks for your interest.
My contact list was indeed for emails.
I was using Hotmail/Outlook/Windows Live.
The email program which arrived with Windows 10 was "Windows Live". The general setup appears to be much as before, but I have been unable to track down the location of my previous contacts list. A list which I have found under "People" is only recording contacts which have occurred since downloading Windows 10.
I have not set up any alternative programs.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically the contacts list would be dependent on the actual account you were using within "Mail" (thats the name of the app that comes native with Windows 10).
IF you have used or added the "Live" account to that "app" you should be able to see all the contacts (in yet another app called "People") that you would normally see if you went directly to the browser interface and logged into that account on the web.
IF not then look near the top left corner area of the "People" app it may say something like "Showing some accounts" you may need to click that and place a check in the check box for the other account.

Reaction score
HI after upgrading to WINDOWS 10 I lost my most recent contacts in my ADDRESS BOOK. I put critical info in the notes. I used to be able to right click the name in the TO field and get to the address book. Can no longer do that.
What happened? You say the CONTACTS has been merged with ADDRESS BOOK? But its not in my CONTACTS either....Thanks!

Reaction score
Can someone help me? How does one add a new contact via the ADDRESS book also?? I figured it out the other day but now can't find it again? Not the contacts PEOPLE but the ADDRESS book. They are separate in my WINDOWS 10 OUTLOOK.....because the notes are not the same, etc!

Reaction score
still trying to find my most recent contacts in my ADDRESS BOOK also! they are NOT merged into my PEOPLE contacts!

Reaction score
OK I do see ADdress book and People contacts have been integrated NOW but I still cannot find my most recent contacts with critical notes . It did not get merged into the new PEOPLE CONTACTS since WINDOWS 10 upgrade. I realize this is how to add new contacts into ADDRESS BOOK via PEOPLE contacts. Can someone help me find my missing CONTACTS from previous address book??? Thanks!!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
HI after upgrading to WINDOWS 10 I lost my most recent contacts in my ADDRESS BOOK
"Windows 10" the Operating System has little to do with the maintenance, preservation or manipulation of any address book or other lists of contacts.
That is wholly dependent on other software, usually associated with an email program, which in turn, in most instances has its' own internal mechanism for maintaining a list of contacts for email purposes or in the case of a mobile device..... calling, and can be stored either locally or a cloud based server service or in some cases both depending on how you've configured the software.
Those products rely on an account, usually involving an email address and an associated password.
The "Windows" Operating System, has for years often provided such software either integrated, as was the case with Outlook Express and others (including the new "People" app) or supplemental offerings such as Windows Live Mail (bundled with Microsoft Essentials).
I still cannot find my most recent contacts with critical notes
Since you seem to be missing some of the most recent entries to the list, I can only guess that.....
For some reason they failed to sync properly, or.....
That perhaps there may be another account involved which hasn't been included in the new "People" app.

In any case I think you would need to explain.... which email product you had been using to maintain the list of contacts with the missing entries?
IF you had more than a single account that you used with that product?
IF you have used a browser to log into the web interface of that or those accounts to determine if the missing entries might be there?
OR in the case of something like Thunderbird or other supplemental email programs if you have checked within their respective directories on your computer where they may have stored an address book or contact list locally?

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply back! I only use OUTLOOK. My Outlook has about 3 main other emails in it but I mostly update my contacts through just my internet service provider's email. No web based browswer. I'll have my husband read this also. He's tried to figure it out maybe this may help him. He's the techie.

Reaction score
when you open your 'People.app', do you see top left "showing some accounts" (see Contacts 01),
if you do, click on this, you should see "Show contacts from" (see Contacts 02),
make sure you have the 'Outlook' box checked (ticked),
this should show your Outlook Contacts, if you have your Outlook Email account in the 'Mail.app'

Contacts 01.jpg Contacts 02.jpg

Reaction score
Sure went through each one...Alan wanted me to attach a printscreen. here it is looking for a missing contact that I had a ton of info on!! I'm really not THAT inept...i'd say i lost probably all of 2015/2016 contacts??? older ones are in there.

Attachments

• windows10 forum.jpg
    windows10 forum.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 523

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I only use OUTLOOK
IF that is true and accurate, you may be in luck "Outlook" pretty much keeps everything in its' personal store, that is a file, that should be on your computer with a .pst file extension. Maybe do a search and see what you can find and you should be able to open your old .pst file in "Outlook" and grab what you need from there.

Reaction score
oh my husband did that also but can't find it? we even have backups in 2 hard drives and still can't find? ugh

Reaction score
OH if no one can help us with the above what about this?? I used to be able to rt click on name in the TO field in OUTLOOK email and click on properties and my address contact would open up for me to look at it! I cannot do that anymore! it just takes me to this attached jpg! i now have to open address book and then type in the name i want and that's the only way now i can look at it! What's up with that?? and that seemed to also happen after WINDOWS 10 update

Attachments

• Outlook bug.jpg
    Outlook bug.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 543

Ask a Question