SOLVED I made my only account not administrator

Reaction score
So, I was going through the settings of user accounts (netplwiz) to make it so that I don't have to sign in with password everytime. And doing that I accidentally set my account as user account. I can't go to the settings again without being the administrator. And at the sign in screen there's only this one account. How do I make myself an admin again?

Reaction score
Pleasehelpquick,

I asked .......... What if you left click at Start > can you select Settings ?
What is your answer ?

Also, did you install Windows 10 over your Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 ?

Reaction score
I can go to the settings. I meant that I can't access the account settings where I messed up originally. I can download files like pictures and stuff or program setups. But if I tried installing a program I would be asked to enter a password for admin account but there would be no place to write it and I could only cancel it.

Reaction score
Also, did you install Windows 10 over your Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 ?

What is your answer ?

If it is one of the above, I might be able to show you how to go back and start fresh again.
Do you want to do that ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Try going to control panel and user accounts. You should be able to change the account any way you want there.

Reaction score
Try going to control panel and user accounts. You should be able to change the account any way you want there.

But you need Admin access to do anything there!
I did the same thing as the OP, and cant for the life me figure out how to get admin access back on this computer.
Ive been to websites and some of them offer command prompt solutions that say "run as adminstrator" but that is impossible. Very frustrating.

Reaction score
I was just in control panel user accounts. I clicked change your account type and there were two circle check options-standard and administrator. In my case there was a message "you can't change your account type because yours is the only administrator account on this PC". Is the option for administrator available to you?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Boot from the installation media.
Second screen option link to Repair Your PC
Advanced Troubleshooting options.
Use System Restore, to go back to a period in time before you made the change to your account.

Reaction score
go into safe mode by holding left shift while you click restart, then click on advanced options, startup options, after reboot press the number on the keyboard that responds to safe mode with command prompt. Once up you should be able to get into administrator account and run the command "net user administrator /active:yes" to activate the administrator account. Then reboot and go into administrator account and change settings to how you want them.

Ask a Question