SOLVED I Want The Sign-in Lock Screen To Show A Different Picture Each Day

Reaction score
When I first installed WinX it showed a different picture each day in the "pre sign in" lock screen, either for a second or two or until I clicked the sign-in spot. Since I am the administrator I don't have to use a password to sign in, and WinX seems to sometimes, but not always, recognize this and automatically bypasses the sign-in process and goes to the normal wallpaper background after a maybe 1 sec delay. I am using the latest version of Classic Shell and maybe this adds to the OS "confusion".

Since the last Windows Update some days ago (around 2.3 GB if I remember) it shows the SAME picture every day now. In the Personalization lock screen panel it shows:

Background
Slideshow (I selected)
Pictures
"Get fun facts ..." Off
Show lock screen background picture on the sign-in screen > On

and "Help" does not help

How can I get back the original set-up which changes the sign-in/lock screen picture to change each time or each day?

note: I will not use System Restore and have to reinstall the last update, as I am on a metered Internet access and limited to 1GB hi-speed Internet each day, without which my use of the Internet at 128 kb/sec is basically useless nowadays (as in, almost nothing works these days at that low speed)

Reaction score
Hi Airider,

Settings > Personalisation > Lock Screen > background > Slide show should do it?: :):):)

lock screen 2.JPG

Reaction score
One would think so. However that is how I had set it and now just re-checked and still that is EXACTLY how it is set up as shown above by Wolfie.

And the issue persists: for days it has shown the same picture! (at least not so bad as the gruesome fish it showed after the latest Update, bit not nearly so nice as the daily-changing pretty scenes it showed before)

What to do ....?

Reaction score
When a different picture is all you want I'd recommend "DailyPic" available in the app store (I am using that myself but the paid version - 99cents is not the world). You can configure it in a way that the lock screen and the log in screen (the one when you start Windows) show a picture every day.
There are quite a few beautiful pictures and with the paid version you can download all since 2009 or you just choose the ones you like. There are different resolutions and also different regions. You can choose portrait or landscape or both in resolutions up to 1920x1080(HD)

Reaction score
Yes the lock screen was and still is toggled to be on with sign-in

Until a few days ago when the latest Update came, the picture changed each day, so I must assume that the Update changed something. Unfortunately I don't have the possibility to buy an app online .... and until a few days ago it worked fine!

Reaction score
Windows no longer asks me to sign-in; maybe the Update a few days ago convinced it that I am the administrator and ^really dont need to sign in (before all I needed to do anyway was click the sign-in box). So maybe i am no longer seeing the sign-in screen, rather the lock screen for a second. But the picture still does not change daily like it had before always done since WinX was installed!.

EDIT: I just checked and by having it not show the sign-in screen it was blank blue and "Welcome", so it WAS showing the sign-in screen with the SAME picture every day (I now set it back as indicated above)

Last edited:
Reaction score
New info:

Now I find that when the computer restarts from sleep or from a shutdown forced by pushing the on/off button (HP 840 G2) .... it makes a slideshow with the pics I now put in Saved Pictures and Camera Roll as a lock screen which stays till I click on it and THEN goes to the non-slideshow sign-in page fixed pic (not in MY files!) that it has been using since the v. 1703 Update some days ago before which it DID show a slideshow on the sign-in page with NO lock screen before it!

Reaction score
I may have found what is going on in Version 1703 here >

When I start up the computer it shows a single Microsoft-chosen picture as the background against "Welcome User" for maybe 3 seconds. Then Desktop shows. And waking up from sleep mode is shows that SAME pic for 10 or 15 seconds, THEN goes into the slideshow from the folders I loaded, without further including that first MS-chosen photo, in a continuous randomly shuffled loop with the same 10 - 15 sec. picture duration until I click on the pic. NOW "User" is asked to sign in, but as administrator with no password needed, I just click on the sing-in box, and then Desktop

So the slideshow file I have chosen does not have a chance to start before Desktop shows. And the MS-chosen pic is used each time instead of my slideshow.

B
U
G

1. How can that MS pic be eliminated?

2. and simply show a different pic from my file each time I start up?

Reaction score
I think the problem may be solved, but will wait a few days before I am sure:

It turns out that so far (before fixes) V. 1703/CU that Spotlight can only be accessed when "eaking up" from the SLEEP mode, then it asks, "Do you like what you see?" [Y/N], and then asked to sign-in (sign-in psge comes now only from SLEEP mode), which only req. a click from admin., me .

Spotlight is now back on, but I when I first start up (without being asked to sign in, as admin.), every day since the problem, every re-start, the pic was locked on some ugly fish (from Spotlight), i was not asked if I liked the pic and I assumed that Spotlight was non-functional after CU.

So again, Spotlight pic choices can so far now only be accessed when "awakening" from SLEEP mode with un-fixed CU/ 1703

Last edited:
Reaction score
So far, so good: Spotlight picture in lock screen & (same pic) in sign-in screen changes daily, but "Do you like what you see?" choice only comes on sign-in screen which only comes when "awakening" from sleep mode (not during start up)

Ask a Question