Icons on the Desktop that aren't really there!

Reaction score
So, I installed a game, deleted it, removed all remnants of it (including on the Desktop), and yet, after reinstalling it—when making a shortcut of it and putting it on the Desktop—Windows says there's already one there; do I want to continue? I mean, what's up with that?

I tried running a .bat program from How-To Geek (or something like that) to clean up and rebuild the icon cache, but that didn't help. Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,

Starkman

Reaction score
What game, and how did you "delete" it?
Final Fantasy XIV, and I uninstalled it correctly; using the Program and Features in the Control Panel. Even a folder I made else where on my system to hold FFXIV info, and of which I put a shortcut to it on the Desktop (and then deleted later) is getting the same treatment; when creating a new folder elsewhere and trying to put a shortcut on the Desktop, Windows acts as if the folder is already there. Just weird.

Ask a Question