ICONS Snapping To Edge Of Monitor Screen

Reaction score
I installed Win 10 on a new pc I built. Its working ok except twice when I turned the pc on all the icons had shifted to the left side of the monitor screen. Normally I group the icons into groups that are alike. When they snap to the left it is a mess. Is this a problem with Win 10? Is there a way I can get them back to groups without doing it one icon at a time? Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Seems to be a common problem. I have two separate Windows 10 computers that have been fine for months now but just started doing the same thing after the recent updates. Not sure exactly which update was the culprit.

There are several other forums with users having the same problem. All kinds of fixes, registry hacks, etc. but none of them work for me.

Had the same problem several years ago on Windows 7 that seemed to eventually get fixed by Microsoft. Kinda makes me wonder if they incorporated some old code into the latest updates for Windows 10.

Reaction score
So far I have been able to duplicate the problem two ways ;

1) I am logged in and after 10 minutes of no activity Windows will ask for my password again. If my wife logs into Windows using her password during this condition and then signs off Windows, my icons will be hosed when I login again.

2) Or if I am logged in and ' switch users ' so my wife can login to her account and then when she signs off Windows, my icons will be hosed when I login again.

I checked and we both are using 1920 x 1200 screen resolution on a Dell 2407WFP-HC Monitor using the vga port with Intel HD Graphics Card.

I am using a Trendnet Tk-209 KVM Switch, however this switch, monitor and Intel Graphics have all worked since early August when I upgraded to Windows 10 without the icon problem. Problem seemed to start sometime around the recent TH2 updates and/or subsequent updates.

Last edited:

Ask a Question