If i want too swap cpu’s do i need to do anything or can i just switch them?

Reaction score
I have a 3400g ryzen 5 amd integrated graphics cpu/apu and also a rx5700xt amd graphics card all on a b450 tomahawk max msi mobo. I was just making sure that i can just take out the 3400g and put in a 3600xt cpu. And that i do mot have to do anything special with windows. Any help wouls be much appreciated. Thanks

Reaction score
Hi,

it is best if you open the Control panel > Device Manager > Processors and right click the entries and remove them, don't restart or shutdown until you have removed them all!. :)

1608879862316.png

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Okay, so do this then shutdown, install new cpu then boot up? Will it go to windows as per usual?
That's a Yes and No.....but with windows 10, it's much easier to do so and with a lot more success. Usually a clean install is best. That said, just make sure you have your version of windows 10 ISO on a bootable USB drive in case the boot up doesn't work and you can do a clean install. Also back up any and all data you deem important incase the worst case scenario befalls you. Just as a precaution.

Once that is done.....make the swap an see what happens. Don't forget to clean the CPU cooler of the old thermal paste and apply new thermal paste to new CPU and mount cooler.

Ask a Question