"If playback doesn't begin shortly try restarting your device"

Reaction score
I tend to get this error across multiple web browsers after viewing videos for a while.

9/10 times the video works but occasionally it just stops and then can't be started again.

Sometimes removing the headphone audio jack, changing the audio device, or changing the driver works temporarily but most of the time it does not.

I have tried changing the graphics drivers and all sorts of things.

Reaction score
Just bumping this as a possible solution:

This didn't work for me so updating all of my drivers via driver easy, as opposed to manufacturer or windows or other third party. No problem yet but will see in a couple of days. I have a feeling it is an audio driver issue but unsolved via official methods. That said, there could be many causes or fixes for the error but I am all out of testing traditional ideas as it happens even after a reinstall and updating.

Reaction score
This didn't work for me so updating all of my drivers via driver easy, as opposed to manufacturer or windows or other third party. No problem yet but will see in a couple of days. I have a feeling it is an audio driver issue but unsolved via official methods. That said, there could be many causes or fixes for the error but I am all out of testing traditional ideas as it happens even after a reinstall and updating.
Okay, nothing working. May be due to hardware, GPU, or just give up.

Reaction score
Does this only happen in a browser? Have you tried playing a dvd or a video file locally?

Reaction score
I get mixed results. For example, sometimes the sound on a game won't work, or testing other local video playback without sound won't work after the browser issue but sometimes it will.

It's not a very consistent issue.

Reaction score
I haven't had it for a while again. I uninstalled my graphics and audio drivers and deleted their current software as well as turning off services, uninstalling programs, and changing the virtual memory and turning off hardware acceleration and adjusting for best performance. The only thing I can think of if it happens again is I did once mess with some HKEY setting ages ago to help video graphics but if that can't survive complete re-installs then it is a hardware issue.

Edit: Nope, wrong again. Sound issue playing game with video in background, video stopped, had to restart.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I haven't had this issue for two days since uninstalling bootcamp services and microsoft redistributable and other things I forget. Considering every installation has been via bootcamp I have a feeling this did something to solve the issue, even though I felt I had the issue before installing the program. So I don't know if it is solved or not. Just reporting the longest time period without the issue. I'll consider it solved if I don't have the issue for a week.

Ask a Question