I tried to create a backup image but when I tried to mount it I got this;
llp.PNG

Reaction score
I tried to create the system image to a 32GB thumb drive from here

hhh.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you use Disk Management to Attach VHD and then assign it a drive letter?
If it's corrupt, then it's corrupt. Not much you can do about that I suppose.
One of the reasons, I don't normally use the native System Image Backup utility.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
might be worth a try, but....
If it's truly corrupt then, it's back to the drawing board.

Reaction score
Did you use Disk Management to Attach VHD and then assign it a drive letter?
If it's corrupt, then it's corrupt. Not much you can do about that I suppose.
One of the reasons, I don't normally use the native System Image Backup utility.
I tried to create a system image with rufus but can not Mount the result;
lloi.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have no idea, how one goes about creating a system image with rufus.
The only thing I have ever used rufus for is to burn an ISO to a USB ThumbDrive to create installation media, which in turn does not need mounting.

Reaction score
No. I know Rufus is the preferred method but I was trying to answer a question for another person.
You seem to be talking around the question, Dan99. In order to mount the file you are working with, as Trouble mentions, you need to open Disk Management, or right click the file and select Mount. You might get an error message but go ahead and open Disk Management.

If you mounted it directly you can assign it a letter and access. If you have not, use the Action drop down menu to access the Attach VHD option. Once you do that, you can then assign a letter and access the partition.

If you attach a VHD, make very sure you Detach it with the options in Disk Management or it might corrupt the file.

Reaction score
I have no idea, how one goes about creating a system image with rufus.
The only thing I have ever used rufus for is to burn an ISO to a USB ThumbDrive to create installation media, which in turn does not need mounting.
OK. Does the snip above look like I have a media recovery drive and if so do I still need to do something to "create installation media"?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I already have a retail Windows 10 media disk so is Rufus of any use to me? I was actually trying to make a drive as backup so I would not lose all my programs if I had a system failure. I assume that would be a system image (ISO). I will try do do that with Acronis True Image.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Acronis True Image2016 was the key and here are some snips to show what I have. And no mounting required I just opened the files.
ggg.PNG

Ask a Question