"Inaccesible boot device" problem

Reaction score
Hello.
I was trying to refresh Windows 10. But when the process ended, this problem occured:

f066f3ba5992.jpg

(Sorry, it's in Russian)

Don't know what to do, google's not able to help)
In BIOS I marked SATA Controller Mode: AHCI (as some people recommended on the internet).

Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was trying to refresh Windows 10.
I wasn't aware that "Refresh" was an option on a Windows 10 computer anymore.
I thought "Reset" was the only option from that group remaining.

So you are now in a Blue Screen -> Reboot, loop?
If you have not seen a screen that offers any advanced options like StartUp Repair, of Troubleshooting, then you are going to need to boot from the Windows 10 installation media.
Is your system's critical data backed up?
Do you have a system / disk image?

Reaction score
I wasn't aware that "Refresh" was an option on a Windows 10 computer anymore.
I thought "Reset" was the only option from that group remaining.
I'm not sure what the exact term is. I wanted all the files to be deleted and wanted to have a new and virgin desktop :)

So you are now in a Blue Screen -> Reboot, loop?
If you have not seen a screen that offers any advanced options like StartUp Repair, of Troubleshooting
Yes, it is my case)

you are going to need to boot from the Windows 10 installation media.
Is your system's critical data backed up?
Do you have a system / disk image?
I'm quite confused. All these technical terms in English...

Does it mean that I have to buy Windows 10 installation CD?)
As for critical data, everything in PC can be deleted) I'm not afraid of this
And I don't understand your last question

Thank you for answering btw

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The installation media can be acquired from either of these two links
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
AND OR
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO you can then use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive.
It's free.
BUT
You need to be certain that your previous installation of Windows 10 had been officially activated and linked to that computer, otherwise you will not be able to activate a clean install.

Reaction score
The installation media can be acquired from either of these two links
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
AND OR
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Once you have the ISO you can then use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive.
It's free.
BUT
You need to be certain that your previous installation of Windows 10 had been officially activated and linked to that computer, otherwise you will not be able to activate a clean install.
Thank you. But I don't have the Windows product key. I bought this computer with Windows 8 and updated recently to Windows 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That shouldn't be a problem if and only if, Windows 10 (when installed and running) was able to activate itself, which it should have done almost instantly coming from an upgrade from Windows 8.
You shouldn't have a problem activating if the above is true.
However, you may want to actually get the resource (installation media) that I linked to above and boot from it, and on the second screen you should see a link to Repair Your PC.
Click that and then use the Advanced Troubleshooting Options and see if you have an option to revert / rollback to Windows 8.
There are some other options that you might also try beforehand. System Restore should be there perhaps reverting to a restore point earlier in time might help.
At this point, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Reaction score
Thank you.

If I understand you correctly, I can download installation media from one of the links that you provided. Then I have to have it on DVD and to reset windows 8 with the help of BIOS. And I will not have any problems with keys.

One said to me that they should have given me CD/DVD with windows 8 when I bought a PC. But the didn't.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The manufacturers do not generally ship new PCs with media anymore.
They do however, for the most part ship the PC with a recovery partition on the Hard Disk, which should allow you to return to a factory fresh computer just like the day it was taken home from the Store where it was purchased.
If I were you, I would Google Up, how to take advantage of that procedure for your specific PC, as they often require unique key combinations to be pressed at boot.

What I was saying was the media link that I supplied was for Windows 10 and that since you said you had, had Windows 10 installed and that you wanted to perform a clean install, I assumed that, by that you meant Windows 10.

Worse case scenario, you can usually contact the PC Manufacturer and they will almost always ship a set of Recovery Media if you supply them with your computer's serial number. If it is still within warranty there is generally no charge. If it is outside of warranty then there may be a nominal fee.

Ask a Question