Inaccessible boot device after upgrade and clean install

Reaction score
I managed to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 with no issues, but I wanted a clean install - so I went through the reset process.

Unfortunately now it is stuck on a restart loop.

I get the message

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart, we will restart for you

if you need to know more you can search later for this error: Inaccessible_device_error

Any help would be appreciated -

I'm going to create an 8.1 usb with the media creation tool (tried to do one for 10, but this failed during verification.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Inaccessible_device_error
Is it possible that your BIOS setting is not pointed to the correct device?
OR
That you have a USB peripheral plugged in, that you shouldn't?

Reaction score
Salim, I recently got the same your problems. My computer keeps restarting an never stops. Please help! Salim if your problem is solved pls let me know ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Hi - I had this same problem - if you check Reddit, there's lots of people complaining about this one. My error was "Inaccessible_boot_service".

I had a factory partition on my laptop and was able to do a system recovery by breaking the boot cycle (F8 for many laptops, my Lenovo Ideapad has a special power button) and then did a system recovery and recovered to the Factory version of Windows 8 from 2.5 years ago, where I'm going to stay until they get a few more fixes out of the way (even though memory management is by far superior in Windows 10, performance - wow).

If you can boot to a USB disk, then you'll need to go to the Windows download page, create a boot disk (it walks you through it, very easy) and then boot from the USB and do a clean install. That seems to have helped most people.

Reaction score
Hi all
I did the upgrade to WIN 10 from Win 7 and afterwards (3 days) I tried a clean reinstall using the reset option but I got the Inaccesible boot device message; I tried to change the bios setting from RAID to AHCI to no avail; now I am retunring to WIN7 and will try to get the media to create an ISO DVD; then after upgrading again this time I will find a tool to get the serial key and use it with the ISO media to do a clean

Any advice will be greatly apreciated

pd.-+Sorry for my English

Reaction score
I used the media creation tool to create a file on a usb (can be done for win 8.1 or win 10). I used this to boot up (I had to go into system settings and set the system to boot from USB).

Windows 10 was activated fine the first time round so there was no issue with the activation key when I did an install from usb to resolve.

When it booted from the USB, it was given the option to install from scratch.

Once he installation was done - it started up but there were no drivers - the key one missing was the wifi driver which meant I couldn't get online. I had to go online and download all the drivers from another pc (your pc manufacturers website should have them). On downloaded and saved on the pc you simply double click and it installed hem.

I'm not an expert - so I don't know if this is the best solution or if it really works - but it looks like it works.

Reaction score
Recently had the "Inaccessible boot device" on one of my customers PCs following an upgrade. In their case they actually had a previously undiagnosed hard disk issue on their system drive and I suspect the reason this manifested after upgrade is that the upgrade process will obviously thrash the disk quite a bit and, as they already had Windows 7 Ultimate installed, it will be using a different part of the disk.

Not saying this is the same for the above string of people, but the morale of this story is before you do the upgrade test the integrity of your system disk either using the Error Checking function in Explorer or running a Chkdsk /f /r from an elevated command prompt.

Reaction score
My Nephew has a business laptop which he upgraded to Windows 10.
Last night he took his laptop home from work. When he tried to start his laptop, it went into infinite loop as others mentioned.
I tried every possible possible available option to restore the system without any luck
I tried to rollback and still no luck.
So far I have not found a single person who is able to restore without re-installing OS & loosing all previously installed apps. This has caused so many people loosing their important data.
I hope Microsoft will post solutions at their earliest in order to save customers frustration.

Reaction score
HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I have the same problem. I installed Windows 10 fine, but my laptop was still running slow so I did a clean install. Now it just reboots over and over and says inaccessible boot drive?????????????????

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
HELP!!!!!!!!!!! I have the same problem. I installed Windows 10 fine, but my laptop was still running slow so I did a clean install. Now it just reboots over and over and says inaccessible boot drive?????????????????
Check your System Setup Utility (BIOS).
Confirm that it is pointed to the correct disk that contains your installation (UEFI will likely say "Windows Boot Manager").
While in the BIOS check the settings for your disk controller "mode", make a note of the current setting and then switch it to something else. Your options maybe unique depending on your mother board mfg. and rev#
But you'll likely have a few choices SATA /RAID, SATA /AHCI, SATA / IDE, Native IDE.
See if any of those changes make any difference

It is possible that you are an accidental victim of circumstance and your hard disk is failing or contains some critical flaws wherein, bad sectors contain critical data essential to boot the OS.
If you could remove it and attach it to a second machine and run some disk utilities against it that might provide some information, even a simple chkdsk X: /R (where X: is the drive letter of the problem drive).

In any case, I would strongly recommend obtaining a Linux Distro, Live CD and booting the computer and backing up any critical data that the drive contains.

Reaction score
I had this same issue this morning. I ended up going to bios and forcing pc to boot to my windows 10 iso I put on a thumb drive. I ended up having to delete and reformat all of my drives in order to get my pc working again. I would only use this option as a last resort since you will loose everything. Luckily I backed up my important stuff to external driver the day before.

Ask a Question