Inaccessible boot device error resetting Windows 10. Just get black screen.

Reaction score
I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 a little over a week ago, and was experiencing a few issues, so I decided to do a reset, choosing the option to keep files yet remove apps and settings. The reset reached 100% and the PC restarted, but I got an "invalid boot device" error saying that the system must restart. After restarting, all that appears is a black screen, with no options available. I've tried numerous keys but nothing happens. The computer just sits on a blank screen. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Gateway SX2110-UB25 that is merely two years old, that came with Windows 8 but upgraded to 8.1 prior to upgrading to 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check your BIOS.
Confirm that it is pointing to the correct boot device (UEFI may say something like Windows Boot Manager), then......
Check your drive controller mode as well, make a note of its' current setting and then experiment. If it is set to RAID, then change it to one of the other choices (every BIOS is different), but something like....
SATA AHCI, SATA IDE, NATIVE IDE.
if none of them work you can always change it back to its' original setting.
It might help, or it might not.
Please let us know either way. There seems to be a pretty large group suffering from that issue and many of us are trying to figure it out.
Without a whole lot of luck unfortunately.

Reaction score
Check your BIOS.
Confirm that it is pointing to the correct boot device (UEFI may say something like Windows Boot Manager), then......
Check your drive controller mode as well, make a note of its' current setting and then experiment. If it is set to RAID, then change it to one of the other choices (every BIOS is different), but something like....
SATA AHCI, SATA IDE, NATIVE IDE.
if none of them work you can always change it back to its' original setting.
It might help, or it might not.
Please let us know either way. There seems to be a pretty large group suffering from that issue and many of us are trying to figure it out.
Without a whole lot of luck unfortunately.

I had the said problem and already did what you suggested, but I discovered it was due to an unsupported NTFS format and used the command line 'format C: /FS:NTFS' to reformat my entire drive: I was lucky, I had already made a backup usb flash stick, of the operating system, from Microsoft MediaCreationTool

Ask a Question