Inaccessible boot device

Reaction score
No answer but perhaps useful information: I have a dual boot system with Win 7 Pro and Win 10 Pro. I have had this "inaccessible boot device" problem two times, both with Win 10 but not on Win7. None of the suggestions I found seemed to work. I did go into the BIOS and found a USB drive in the boot menu; I disabled the USB drive. I could go into Win 7 and also into Win 10 Safe Mode and after many repeated tries the system corrected itself and started working again, presumable as a result of loading Win 10 into Safe Mode, but I am not sure—perhaps something to do with the USB drive. I am convinced this problem will come back to haunt me and I will be without an answer as to what to do. Meanwhile I am keeping my system disk backups up to date, although I've heard from others that restoring a backup did not solve their problem, and neither did a clean install. I am of the opinion this is a known Microsoft problem and they are waiting for a user to solve it for them so they can issue a fix, as they have done since Win 10 became available.

Regedit32

Reaction score
When you open Disk Management is the partition Windows 7 and 10 are on set to:
  • Type: Basic or
  • Type: Dynamic?

Reaction score
Set to Basic.
But, understand I am not presently having any problem. I did not check the partitions while the "inaccessible boot device" bug was present. I do want to add this bug also canceled my restore points in system restore.

Ask a Question