SOLVED Incorrect login

Reaction score
I've been using windows 10 now for several months. I'm now receiving 'Incorrect Password' when trying to login. I have not changed my password, performed any upgrades, etc.
please help

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Frnazella,

Welcome to the Forum.

The first thing to do would be to check your keyboard. Have you accidently enabled CAPS-LOCK, or the NUM Lock keys? Is a SHIFT key stuck? Any of these keys stuck will alter what you are typing.

The second thing is to look at bottom right corner of screen, and confirm the Language option is matching your installation / keyboard. If not that too can create this situation as your mapped keys will have a different layout.

Has your internet connection not started yet? Signing in can be affected if the router is off or not ready yet.

Finally, in the password field, is there a light text saying PIN? Perhaps this field has swapped from password to pin without you realizing. If that is the case, simply click the icons below the field to select the correct option.

Reaction score
Unfortunately none of these are the issue, I had already checked to make sure cap lock was off, it doesn't indicate it wants a pin instead of password. As for the language of the keyboard I don't see any option for that in the lower right corner. When I checked the password using the 'eye' icon it displays my password as I typed it and should be...
none of these solutions worked. I rebooted several times hoping that would resolve the issue but no luck there either.
As for the internet connect it indicated it is connected.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you tried entering the password using the Ease of access > Onscreen keyboard?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hmmm,

If the main keyboard and the on-screen keyboard will not work, and you are 100% certain you are entering correctly, that implies some form of corruption of the User Profile.

You may ultimately need to create a new profile and copy over information you want to keep from the current User profile. Before going there though; let's try one last thing:
  • On the sign-in page press down and keep holding down the SHIFT key and now in bottom right corner click the Power icon and select Restart
After clicking Restart you can release the SHIFT key
  • When the computer restarts to the Recovery page select Troubleshoot > Advanced > Startup and choose option 4 [ Safe mode ] then restart computer.
  • This ought to now boot to Safe mode. If prompted sign-in
  • Once logged into Safe Mode in your search box type Command
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • Click yes when the UAC prompt appears
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type the following:
Code:
net user Administrator /active:yes

Press Enter key to execute

Type exit then press Enter key to close th console
  • Now right-click on Start and select Run
  • In the run dialog type msconfig and click OK
  • Select the Boot tab and remove check next to Safe boot then click Apply / OK and restart computer
  • When you reach the sign-in page select Administrator and click the arrow on right end of password field
  • After it sets up and you end up on the Desktop, in your search box type command
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • If prompted by UAC, click yes
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt console type the following:
Code:
net user

Press Enter key to review a list of Users

Now type the following command using the Username you cannot currently sign-in to.

Code:
net user Frnazella *

Replace Frnazella with your actual Username you are trying to sign-in to

Press Enter key

You will now be asked to enter a password, then re-enter it to confirm it

Enter the password you currently cannot sign-in with and press Enter

Re-enter that same password and again press Enter

Type exit and press Enter key
  • Sign-out or restart computer
  • Now see whether you can select your normal User account and sign in to it

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have not been able to access safe mode...as it appears the F8 key no longer allows you to access the sdialigue window as earlier version did. I will check the links tomorrow as it is 3:00am here right now and I'm tired since I've been trying to login since 9:00 pm

Reaction score
After selecting to restart in the advance>troubleshoot dialogue window I get a message indicating bitlocker you must enter your recovery key to access startup settings
To protect the privacy of your data, bitlocker has prevented unlocking your drive. You'll need to enter your recovery key
Press enter to continue'
It appears that I may have to wait until Monday and have it continue with this. I believe corporate added this but not sure.

Regedit32

Reaction score
That is certainly possible.

Also, if Corporate is managing the machine they may have set a policy where passwords expire.

You may need to get them to assist you to reset it.

Reaction score
Just wanted you to know corporate resolved the issue by logging into the domain and changing my password. It appeared as if the password cache file was removed/deleted, however the cause is still undetermined. Thanks for you help...

Reaction score
Just wanted you to know corporate resolved the issue by logging into the domain and changing my password. It appeared as if the password cache file was removed/deleted, however the cause is still undetermined. Thanks for you help...
I am betting a user from IT dept forgot to log off and the user you were trying to log into was the last IT user.

Ask a Question