incorrect Passord

Reaction score
"Incorrect Password" message when I put the correct password at login. This is on an HP laptop so I have no way to access icons, settings, nothing. Has been fine till I tried to log in this evening and all at once can do nothing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Sharon and welcome to the forum.
We've been seeing a sudden rash of this type of post recently.
While there may be a number of reasons, there doesn't seem to be a single definitive answer.
Recently some folks have reported that the authentication process has been switched and now requires their Microsoft Account password rather than their former local user password.
While others have reported that their keyboard / language layout has been impacted. In which case they need to use the language icon on the sign-in page to address that.

Reaction score
While there may be a number of reasons, there doesn't seem to be a single definitive answer.
Recently some folks have reported that the authentication process has been switched and now requires their Microsoft Account password rather than their former local user password.
While others have reported that their keyboard / language layout has been impacted. In which case they need to use the language icon on the sign-in page to address that.
I have no icons on my sign on page
I he
D

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
On the sign-in screen you should also have a "Power" icon, from which you should be able to restart your computer.
Use that while holding the Shift key on your keyboard and choose restart from the menu.
From there you should be able to get into Troubleshooting -> Advanced Options -> Startup settings to start your computer in "Safe Mode with networking" option #5 I believe.
See if the computer behaves any differently going that route.

Reaction score
Why do we need a sign in anyway. It's my personal comuputer. I'm the only one who uses it so why do I need to login????

Reaction score
You don't. But MS have decided in their wisdom that using a password and a MS account is the default.

Ask a Question