Initial Problems - Start Button missing - strange fix, but it worked!

Ron

Reaction score
After spending nearly 4 hours getting Win 10 onto a flash USB and then imaging and then installing (upgrading) on my Win 7 64bit office machine, there was no start button nor did the control panel have any programs listed for removal or change. A search for missing start button turned up 2010 messages (obvious;y not Win 10 related.)

One site, Microsoft Community, listed a fix for the problem dated Feb 2015. Asneha said the following worked for her;

Using Regedit
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advance
Add a DWORD (32-bit) value, call it EnableXamlStartMenu.
Then reboot or restart explorer from task manager.

This instantly brought the new Win 10 Start Menu into view and a click or two showed a fully populated Control panel>Programs and Features! There were lots of replys indicating the success of this routine.

But why do these thing have to be so cryptic in the first place? And why was this not addressed between Feb 2015 and July 29?

RJR

Reaction score
I tried this and nothing happened. Still no Start menu/page/screen. I have all my apps in an alphabetical list down the left side of the screen (rather than below the Start screen). All of them were marked NEW' By opening most of them, then closing them, the NEW went away if the app was only a single item; if there were other supporting files with an app, the NEW went away if I opened-&-closed all of them. Some have just diappeared.

Ask a Question