SOLVED Initializing MBR or GPT

Reaction score
I have just purchased a new WD 2 TB drive to be used as my portable USB drive for Win 10 imaging.
I create images on my PC's (3) and my daughters (2) PC's, 3 desktops are Win 10 Pro and 2 Laptops are Win 10 Home edition.
Now I'm faced with initializing the new HD in Win 10. It asks if I want to initialize as MBR or GPT.
I'm leaning towards the newer GPT technology, but in Win 10 initialization page says that GPT is not recognized by previous versions of windows. As the Windows 10 upgrade is on a Windows 7 platform will it cause any forseeable problems.
Any advice by Windows (Ten) 10 forum members would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Norton

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only upside that I can see to using GPT as the partition schema, on what is essentially going to be a data drive, is if you plan on having more than 4 primary partitions on it.
I wouldn't expect any problems with Windows 7 PCs or newer as long as you weren't attempting to boot from it, I think you need Windows 8 or newer and of course UEFI for that (AFAIK), but.....
It sure would be nice, if you'd experiment and let us know your actual, real life findings on the topic.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, I read it and it pretty much seems to say what I said above and
Conclusion
In most cases, you will be fine with either MBR or GPT. It is only in situation where you need to install Windows on a Mac, or when you need to have a partition bigger than 2TB, that you need to use GPT, or convert MBR to GPT. Also, for the newer model of computer that uses UEFI, it will only support GPT.
Wouldn't seem to apply in your particular situation, but....
By all means, as I also suggested above, spread your wings and fly.
Let us know if you run into any difficulty or unusual circumstances.

Reaction score
If you will be putting multiple images on the drive, having the ability to make multiple partition may be advantageous.

And Trouble, Windows 7 runs fine as UEFI... been doing it since 2010.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks Clark....
I thought there was some issue booting it from a GPT drive.
Probably just my aging and failing memory.

Reaction score
To boot from a GPT drive the OS has to be installed as UEFI. Windows, unlike Linux is particular and will only boot Legacy from MBR drives and UEFI from GPT drives. As you mentioned, this only applies to a boot drive.

Reaction score
I perform imaging + backups for up to 5 PC's, both my own and my daughters. no point in her investing in a portable USB HD. Grandad can always come to the rescue LOL
The drive will be for imaging only. I'm going with my first thought, that is, GPT initializing. I don't intend to install an OS, all PC's are running Windows 10. I create partitions for each PC. Thanks to all for your valued opinions.

Ask a Question