Insider Preview Build 17661

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In the process of doing two of these and they are both just setting at.....

Capture.PNG

Some evidence of minimal disc activity, so....
Just going to let them set and percolate.

Bif

Reaction score
I wonder if at some point in the near future ( or ever) MS will actually say "this is it, the last and only Windows offering from now on..we finally got it right"
and just offer security patches and menial stuff like the good old days?
Just a thunk...

Reaction score
Presumably at some point in the late summer a new Skip-Ahead will start up for RS6 aka Spring 2019.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wonder if at some point in the near future ( or ever) MS will actually say "this is it, the last and only Windows offering from now on..we finally got it right"
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, while I gently apply the saw in my hand to the limb behind me and say.....
NOPE

In all fairness, they did, at the time of the Windows 10 announcement say that this would be the last version of Windows ever.
I thought that to be very interesting at the time.
What I didn't realize that it was going to commit us to an endless, twice a year version "UPGRADE" of so called "Windows 10"
Not to mention the equally endless monthly or more often "Cumulative UPDATES" just so no one gets bored.

Reaction score
In the unlikely event of Intel or AMD or a 3rd chip company coming up with a new cpu architecture that was very different from the current one , maybe there would be a new name for Windows.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Presumably at some point in the late summer a new Skip-Ahead will start up for RS6 aka Spring 2019.
Yes, and maybe no. It'll be interesting to see when the Skip Ahead ring reopens if they're even working on anything called Redstone 6.
I assume that since Skip Ahead is currently closed and will remain so until the have another development fork, that we Insiders will be plodding along on to build versions of 1803 until such time as we get close to October when our previews get feature locked and the version number gets changed to 1809

That is unless some of the rumors are true and they are going to switch to annual tracks and drop the every 6 months thing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Some evidence of minimal disc activity, so....
Just going to let them set and percolate.
So finally they've finished. I guess a watched pot never boils.
All good so far

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Playing with a new feature
Windows Key + Shift + S
One that I might actually find myself using from time to time.
I can see where this would be particularly handy on a device with a touch screen.

Annotation.png

Reaction score
It's a bit different from that in Version 1803 Build 17134.1 but works in both. Main difference I see so far is on the RTM version I had to open Paint and Paste but good for getting just part of the screen.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep considerably different, it's a full working app in the preview with a menu bar, free form, rectangle and full screen selection tools and various live sharing as well as live annotation options from within the interface without even saving it.
Overall pretty robust for something as simple as a screen capture / snip.

Ask a Question