Install from USB to new HDD

Reaction score
Am i wrong, or can i innstall Win 10 on a new SSD disk, using my licensenumber from my "old" genuine Win 7, or do i have to uppgrade my win 7 to win 10 first ?

Does anybody know.

Regards
Jan

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.... shouldn't be a problem as long as you are using the latest ISO to create your installation media from.
Microsoft added this feature with or very shortly after the November update last year.

Reaction score
Yep.... shouldn't be a problem as long as you are using the latest ISO to create your installation media from.
Microsoft added this feature with or very shortly after the November update last year.

Thank you very much. I give it a try.

Reaction score
Did it work? I'm in the same situation. I have a Win10 repair Usb stick and a new SSD drive where I need to install Windoes 10. I gather I will need to enter my license key. Will Windows 10 accept my Windiws 7 license, in order to get activated?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Andrew and welcome to the forum.
IF all you are doing is, installing a new hard drive and wish to perform a clean install of Windows 10 on it, you shouldn't need a product key at all. IF you had Windows 10 installed previously and it had been activated then you should be good to go.
IF you're prompted during the install, just click the link that says "I don't have a product key" and the installation should proceed. One the machine is up and running and connected to the internet, it will activate fine. MS activation servers already know that your machine had previously been running Windows 10.
IF NOT
Then yes.... use your Windows 7 product key when prompted during a clean install and it should work fine.

Reaction score
Thanks for your answer. My first attempt will be to "repair" the SSD using the recovery Usb stick. I used EaseUS to clone Win10 from my old HDD to my new SSD. All files got copied, but the Bios refuses to boot from the SSD. I changed the boot order in bios, I even swapped the Sata cables inside the machine, so the new Ssd is in position 0,and the old Hdd in position 1. The partition is active. The bios still refuses to boot from the Ssd., although it recognises it.

I think the SSD is missing the boot sectors, while everything else is in place. I presume the repair stick can fix it. If it doesn't work, then I'll try the approach you suggested.

Ask a Question