Install Windows 10 on partition next to Windows 7??

Reaction score
***APOLOGIES FOR THE LONG POST***

Hi, I bought a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium off Amazon a few years ago, and I've installed and activated it on 2 separate PC's. Now that Windows 10 has been released, I partitioned my hard drive (so I have a copy of Win7 and Win10 on the same hard drive). I downloaded the Win 10 ISO and installed that on the new, unallocated partition, but it has yet to activate automatically/ be activated.

In settings it says that the specified code has been blocked and gives me the following error code - 0xC004C003. I contacted their online chat support, and was told that this is an upcoming issue, and they're working on a fix. Also, I do realise that it may take a few days for the activation servers to settle and get everyone activated.

My question is this - Due to the fact that I installed my copy of Win 7 on more than one PC, could this be stopping/ blocking my Win 10 from being activated??

Also, I don't know if this matters, but I never had a notification on my taskbar to upgrade to Windows 10, but I was part of the Windows Insider programme, so I was using preview builds for a few months.

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium off Amazon a few years ago, and I've installed and activated it on 2 separate PC's.
Issue #1: If you only have one license, you are only allowed to install on one PC. The only exception is the 3PC license that was once sold.
Now that Windows 10 has been released, I partitioned my hard drive (so I have a copy of Win7 and Win10 on the same hard drive).
Issue #2: Even though it is the same machine, each install of Windows will require it's own License. You can't run a License and then another upgrade of that very same license at the same time.
I downloaded the Win 10 ISO and installed that on the new, unallocated partition, but it has yet to activate automatically/ be activated.
Issue #3: In order to activate an upgrade, you must first upgrade your current install. Then and only then will you be able to clean install.

Reaction score
Issue #3: In order to activate an upgrade, you must first upgrade your current install. Then and only then will you be able to clean install.

So in order to get Win10 activated, but still keep a copy of Win7 I will need to:
1. Back my copy of Win7,
2. Upgrade that to Windows 10,
3. Clean install Windows 10 on the new partition,
4. Downgrade the copy of Win10 that replaced Win7,

Is that correct?

Reaction score
If you only have one license and upgrade that license, you no longer have Windows 7 unless you downgrade back to 7. Your single license whether upgraded or not only allows for one OS install. See your upgrade is not a free new key, it is an upgrade key that is tied to your previous key. Meaning your previous key is now tied to the new upgrade and can no longer be used for a previous OS version, unless downgraded back to the previous OS version.

Reaction score
If you only have one license and upgrade that license, you no longer have Windows 7 unless you downgrade back to 7. Your single license whether upgraded or not only allows for one OS install. See your upgrade is not a free new key, it is an upgrade key that is tied to your previous key. Meaning your previous key is now tied to the new upgrade and can no longer be used for a previous OS version, unless downgraded back to the previous OS version.

I see. Thanks for the help :)

Ask a Question