SOLVED Installation from CD package with COA

Reaction score
Hi all,

I seem to have missed the boat on the free Windows 10, which I never successfully downloaded and installed anyway. The usual problems, stalled at 99%, error code 0x80070020 plus other problems.

If I purchase a retail version of Win 10 Pro, on DVD with COA, do I have to do a virgin install on a blank drive or can I use it to upgrade from my Win7 Pro and keep all my existing settings and programs etc?

Any recommendations on where to buy? I don't really want to spend £190 at a U.K. shop! How does that relate to $199.99 (£150) at today's rate of $1.33 to the £GB? Talk about rip-off Britain!

I would hope to be able to do this without going through the "Safe Mode Boot/Clean Boot/disable active protection and firewalls etc.route.

A further question, if installing/upgrading from a DVD can I disconnect my internet connection? I would like to do this to prevent any "nasties" sneaking in during the installation.

This is my (homebuilt) PC spec: -

Mobo Gigabyte GA-MA69VM-S2
BIOS Award F9 12/29/2008
OS Windows 7 Professional
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual core 6400+ @ 3.2GHz
RAM 8GB (4 x 2GB matched) DIMM DDR2
GPU AMD Radeon HD7500 (1GB DDR5 4GHz 128-bit)
Storage (System) Kingston SV30037A240G (240GB, SATA600, SSD. (C: and D)
Storage (Data) WDC WD2500AAJS-75B4A0 (250GB, SATA300, 3.5",HDD. (E: and F)

Hopefully someone will be able to guide me along the correct path.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice given.

Tony Norton

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
The reason your attempts fail upgrading to windows 10 is due to your systems hardware....meaning your mobo doesn't support it. There are no drivers for it at all because of it's age.

From what I'm reading, there is a 2 week extension for windows 10 upgrade. So you can still get it for free. Download the media creation tool and then create the ISO (USB or DVD) for a later upgrade. Which I would do and do fast.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Note: You might want to consider 1. upgrading your hardware....mobo/CPU/RAM or 2. just do a new build and keep the old system for a running backup with windows 7 on it.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
if installing/upgrading from a DVD can I disconnect my internet connection? I would like to do this to prevent any "nasties" sneaking in during the installation.
Not recommended as the net is needed for system activation and critical updates.

Reaction score
As bassfisher6522 said you require the internet so it can download critical updates, before it starts the upgrade.
However, You can disconnect the internet (I did) only after the install has completed and verified the download. Disconnect from the internet just as it starts installing the the update data to your PC.
Interruptions, pop-ups and auto updates for programs can have and effect, I even disable the screen from turning off.

Reaction score
You seem to have an older machine and some of those just don't behave well with Win 10.

But if you can't install the normal way disconnecting the internet can't hurt. I used to do that during the 8.1 upgrades.

If Bassfisher is right and they have extended the free upgrade period, is it good for 10586 and 14393?

Reaction score
All sorted,

I downloaded the ".iso" file, burned it to a DVD as though I intended to install on a different machine, and then used it to install on my PC.

A pretty painless exercise, no hiccups or complaints, and my Win 10 Pro is now up and running.

Only slight hitch I have found so far is that it doesn't like the floppy drive being set as first boot device. Perhaps it doesn't understand neolithic technology!

bassfisher6562, there doesn't seem to be any compatibility problems vis-a-vis my Mobo.

Cheers all

Tony Norton

Ask a Question