SOLVED Installation of update 23604

Reaction score
As far as I am aware, I have the update 23604 installed on my desk-top computer, but I cannot get it to install on my lap-top.
Having downloaded the update the installation process proceeds at a reasonable speed but goes through to completion.
e.g. it takes 20 minutes to install the first 80%, 14 minutes to install the next 5%, 24 minutes to install the next 5% and forever to install the remaining 10%, finally stopping at 98 or 99%.
How can I rectify the situation?
Selwyn Lewis

Reaction score
So your having trouble installing updates & they fail correct?
Try the following first:
( 1 ) go to search type in CMD / RIGHT CLICK on COMMAND PROMPT select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR, a UAC box will appear select YES you will then see the Command Prompt box appear.
RUN THE FOLLOWING 2 COMMAND LINES
( A ) Type in ipconfig /flushdns then press ENTER - allow it to complete ( It will say SUCESSFULLY FLUSHED THE DNS RESOLVER CACHE )
( B ) Type in sfc /scannow then press ENTER - Allow the scan to complete

EXAMPLE:
Untitled.jpg

Once you have completed these, reply back with a screen shot of the results. We will then proceed with further steps to resolve this. Be sure to restart the pc after running both command lines.

Reaction score
I think that I followed your instructions through to completion. I even managed, after a second attempt, to save a copy of the screen at the end of the procedure. After my first run through, I tried to install the update, but again it failed to leap the final hurdle.
I attach a screen shot that was shown at the end.
Selwyn Lewis

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    72 KB · Views: 489

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suppose we should probably ask.....
Do you have any idea what "update 23604" actually applies to???
I can't find any specific reference to Windows 10, or a particular piece of hardware or software, even third party.

Reaction score
@Selwyn Lewis , without sitting at your computer, we will not be able to help you with the sparse information you provided. Please be much more specific with your problem as in what kind of Windows are your running currently (Fall creators update or earlier versions) and more specific what update are you trying to install? As Trouble already said, there is no update with that number - 23604 (you are missing some digits here).

Reaction score
I suppose we should probably ask.....
Do you have any idea what "update 23604" actually applies to???
I can't find any specific reference to Windows 10, or a particular piece of hardware or software, even third party.
Thank you for your suggestions. I have further checked, I am a novice in this area, and you are correct the (de)23604 does not refer to an update but to the update assistant. On further checking I got a message to that my lap-top is currently running version 10686 of Windows 10 and the update that I have failed to install is version 16299.
Just to give you a little more information about speeds of installation, the first 20% took 4 minutes, 20 - 40% took 5 minutes, 40 - 60 took 3 minutes, 60-80% took 8 minutes, 80 - 85% took 13 minutes and finally until I gave up 85 - 90% took 34 minutes.
I hope that this is of some help.
Selwyn Lewis

Reaction score
You still need to give up a little more info.
Right click the start and type winver in the "run" box.

Copy and paste the full version. If you are up to date, it should say OS 16299.248, build or similar.
Quite honestly, I could hardly remember, build 10686, but, whatever, it is grossly out of date.

Reaction score
@davehc , he means 10586 which is the November update (1511). That one is no longer supported anyway (since October 2017).
@Selwyn Lewis , let the update run over night. It sometimes helps and the update will be done the next morning. I do it all the time that way.
Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 you can get either the media creation tool or the upgrade assistant to help you with the install.

Reaction score
@davehc , he means 10586 which is the November update (1511). That one is no longer supported anyway (since October 2017).
@Selwyn Lewis , let the update run over night. It sometimes helps and the update will be done the next morning. I do it all the time that way.
Here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 you can get either the media creation tool or the upgrade assistant to help you with the install.
Hello,
Thanks for your support. I did as you suggested and the download and installation was completed in six hours. I guess I need more patience!
Selwyn Lewis

Reaction score
Hello,
Thanks for your support. I did as you suggested and the download and installation was completed in six hours. I guess I need more patience!
Selwyn Lewis

Windows 10 requires by default A LOT of patience. MS never tells THAT to their customers....

Ask a Question