Installation side

Reaction score
Hi all

I currently have 8.1 installed on a 128GB SSD (there are 2 1TB HDD's with games etc installed on those) with only 34.1 GB free. When it comes to installing Win10 will I need to free up space on this drive or is 34GB sufficient? I presume that there'll be options to keep the old install of Win 8.1? I'll obviously back-up my important data but I don't have the majority of my docs etc stored on my C drive.

Cheers & TIA

Bill

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Bill and welcome to the forum.
I would think that as long as you remain above 20% free space on that drive you should be alright.
After the update some disk cleanup might be in order.

And now for a bit of preaching.
Today and everyday leading up to the 29th I intend to be the Disk Imaging Evangelist.
There are several third party software products available and often they are free. Even the commercial (paid for) versions have a limited free trial option.
AOEMI Backupper
EaseUS ToDo
Macrium Reflect
Acronis True Image Home
Please, please, everyone. Make a disk image of your current configuration. DO NOT consider, doing anything as critical as a full Operating System upgrade without taking steps to protect yourself against a catastrophic event.

If it turns out you don't need it.... GREAT.
If it turns out you do.... You won't be sorry.

It's the answer.... in advance, to all the "how to I.....??? Questions that are likely to start at some point after the 29th.

Reaction score
Hi and thanks for the quick reply. I'll definitely have a look at one of the image back-up options. I've been very glad I have in the past (after making the mistake of thinking "nah I don' need no backup"! :().

Cheers

Ask a Question