SOLVED Installing new hardware

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 installed on my system, it was upgraded from Windows 8.1 and everything is fine.
Now I want to install new graphics card and new monitor.
I want to know if Windows will require me to get new copy of W10 or will I be able to continue on with my currently installed copy.
I really would like to know this before I proceed so I can have all hardware and software required before I begin installation.
My system specs:
Windows 10 Home 64 bit OS
ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX-8320 8 Core CPU
TEAM ZEUS DDR3 16 GBytes RAMemory
Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Graphics
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB Primary C Drive
WDC WD10EZEX-00BN5A0 1000GB Secondary Drive
WDC WD10EARX-00N0YB0 1000GB WD My Book External Drive
PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-207D Blu Ray Combo Optical Drive

I am upgrading the Sapphire Radeon card to MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB and monitor to LG 29" Ultrawide.
Will Windows accept these upgrades or think I have new computer and reject my current OS?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't suspect the monitor will have any impact one way of the other.
The GPU upgrade will almost certainly change your computer's hardware profile which is associated with your current Windows 10 install, but I do not think that a single hardware device change would result in a problem with your install.
Microsoft has stated that some (unspecified) hardware changes might require calling to sort things out, but I would think that, that might be in cases of something more drastic like a major motherboard swap or something similar.
I'd certainly be interested in hearing how things worked out.

Reaction score
The gpu shouldn't be an issue. From what I've read, the motherboard would be the issue. That would probably require a call to microsoft to attempt to reactivate.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The gpu shouldn't be an issue
You're probably right.
As a matter of fact moving from the existing GPU to the Radeon R9 380, would likely use the same driver and would hardly be a blip on the hardware swapping scale.

Reaction score
Yes, I'm certain you guys are correct. The MSI card will use the same drivers I have installed now for the Sapphire card.
Problem solved. I will be ordering new parts soon. I hope the MSI card doesn't get ridiculously hot, my other choice was the Sapphire Nitro R9 380 which runs cooler but the MSI card is so pretty I had to have it for that reason alone.
I will mark this thread as solved.

Reaction score
You can certainly send my your old Sapphire card, lol. I agree, the MSI cards look great, but I love my Sapphire card. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I want to know if Windows will require me to get new copy of W10
You can replace everything inside a computer as many times as you want without having to worry about a new Windows license EXCEPT the motherboard. A new motherboard is considered a new computer and therefore requires a new license.

There are only two exceptions. (1) If your current license is a full retail license but the vast majority are OEM. And (2) if you are replacing the motherboard as part of a repair action because the first motherboard failed. BUT it must be the exact same brand and model board (or suggested "equivalent" board by the same maker if original board is no longer available). That is, you cannot "upgrade" the board in the process of a repair and use the same license - legally.

And understand if you call Microsoft and don't tell them it is a new and/or upgraded motherboard, that is fraud by deception, a serious criminal offense - the same as stealing. While you can probably get away with it, it is not right and not really worth the risk.

Ask a Question