SOLVED Installing win 8 pro on win 8.1 home

Reaction score
I have a new Asus desktop running win 8.1 home. I also have a copy of win 8 pro with a legal upgrade key. Is it possible to upgrade the win 8.1 home to win 8 pro and then to win 10 and still be activated. If so, How do I proceed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Edgar and welcome to the forum.
It's been a while and this is from memory but as I recall.
Control Panel -> Programs and Features->
Link on the left something about "add features"
Then, the I have a key thing
Type in your key and it should convert your home to pro.
I think that is what I did last time with the Key I got from Windows anytime upgrade.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As a note of caution.
You are in the process of performing an OS upgrade.
While likely things should go as expected, if you've been reading this and other forums many have experienced various difficulties.
I would strongly suggest you make every effort to safeguard your critical data, and make a disk image so you have a strong fall back position.

Reaction score
So, heres the situation. I Screwed Up! Everything was working perfectly until I noticed at the bottom right hand corner of my desktop "Windows 8.1 Pro Build 9600" and I realized I had used the wrong key. What are my options. The "add features" now tells me my legitimate keys wont work.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Windows 8.1 Pro Build 9600
I thought your intentions were to upgrade home to pro?
did you run windows updates after that to upgrade to catch up all the pending updates.
What wrong key did you use?
IF you right click computer and choose properties
or right click the windows logo bottom left and choose system
Does it show at the bottom that windows is activated?
What OS does it show at the top?
There is an option to "Change product key" there but I'm not sure that is what you want to do.

Reaction score
I right clicked on computer and chose properties. It showed that windows was not activated so I chose "Activate", entered my legitimate windows key, it restarted, updated and now its activated as a regular 8.1 pro version and not a build 9600 version. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! You've made my day.

Ask a Question