SOLVED instant tile-view change

Reaction score
Since last 'automatic' win-10 update, whenever and wherever I put the pointer over any tile on my 2-monitor display, it instantly becomes active; that is nonsensical -- and it formerly gave me 1...3 seconds to hover, then brought that tile to life/activated it.
ACPI, Intel i7-2600K, 12 GB, win-10_pro build 1607, 64-bit, Radeon 7700

I am not as new as I appear (for years on other windows forums) but then, the search feature couldn't help me; maybe one of you can. Thanks beforehand for a tip - makes me crazy..
Willy

Reaction score
When you say 'becomes active' or 'brought it to life', do you mean the tile updated or does it launch the program?

If it launches, sounds more like a mouse problem than a Windows one. Whether it is a USB mouse or wireless, unplug it or the sender and let Windows redetect it. If that doesn't help, try a different mouse if you have one. Then if that mouse behaves the same, it definitely is a Windows problem. You may want to check your mouse settings to make sure they are ok. If you have single-click enabled, set it back to double-click as a test.

Reaction score
Thanks, what I meant is: the tile I hover over becomes instantly 'on-top' - not executing anything but just showing its content; when you have like 6 or 8 'windows' or tiles open, you cannot even answer a 'Q' box because while moving over to it, the bigger tile becomes active (gets on top).
Curious is that it's still the same mouse (wired, Logitech) that before the last update, was giving me 3 seconds of hovering over a tile before it made it 'om-top'.
Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Ok, I think I understand. By 'tiles', you don't mean the tiles on the Start Menu. You mean open windows, programs that are running. When you move your mouse to somewhere other than the windows you are working on, the other windows becomes active, as if you clicked on it.

Still sounds like a mouse problem. Maybe a stuck left button. Can you do a print screen by pressing Win+PntScr buttons, then go your user/pictures/screenshots folder and upload the picture to a response?

But again, if you have an old mouse, try that first. If you don't have an old mouse, try tapping the left mouse button hard in case it's stuck.

Reaction score
Dear Old guy Geek,
Darn, I mis-named those 'tiles' - and YES, I meant the open windows of just any size.
I am positive that the mouse is fine; I am using it all the time and it responds w/o a glitch.
Now, if I press the left-button (as if it were stuck) and then move anywhere, the former window stays active but of course, nothing else happens.
I can also left-click on the upper window frame and while holding it, drag that window anywhere; the right button gives me instant view of the context menu: so, I think the mouse buttons are just fine.
To be on the safe side: I changed the mouse to a GuildWars == 100% same problem.

One hint: if there is no other window on the monitors, only then can I move the mouse outside the active window and it does not change, the active window remains active. -- The split-second that the cursor gets to the frame of another window, it instantly chooses that one. If the former overlaps the other, it still activates (makes alive) the overlapped one.

A note: Through one long-past program which I do not remember, in win-8.1 pro I chose to have a window to become active after hovering over it for, say, 3 seconds (no need to click, sort-of for peeking into it).
Upgrading to win-10pro it initially kept that setting for a whole year --- until the very last automatic win-10 update.
No other program was installed at that time, nor did I go into registry, user settings or 'etc'.
Does that make more sense now?
Thanks so much,
Willy

Attachments

• sS2016.10.10 18h54m20s_006 .jpg
    sS2016.10.10 18h54m20s_006 .jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 512
Reaction score
Much more sense. Go to the Control Panel. Not the Settings, but the real Control Panel. Select 'Ease of Access'. Under 'Ease of Access Center', click on the link 'Change how your mouse works'. Near the bottom you'll see a setting for letting a mouse hover change your window focus. You'll probably find it checked. Uncheck it and click on the OK button at the bottom.

Reaction score
Yes. Again, we have to ponder. Why, after all this time, are there settings in the old control panel (ease of access in this case), freely accessible to users, different from the control panel items now transferred to the Windows 10 settings.

Reaction score
...sorry for the delay, we had a storm here and I cleaned up (not as bad as where my wife is right now, Amelia Island). So YESSSS, it stopped that nuisance - you are my savior! Of course I wonder with what damn right the Nth win-10 update would alter what I had: a 3-second delay and only then would it activate that window - gone...
Thanks a lot, and best regards!

Ask a Question