Internet Explorer keeps freezing.

BML

Reaction score
I have spent most of the afternoon attempting to read a page on the Internet by someone or other who is a journalist I think for the "Independent" and I can only work with that page for a minute or so before it freezes and eventually I have to switch the computer off and then back on again.
It has been suggested that this is caused by an inadequate driver for which Intel or Windows is responsible but as a non technical person I simply don't know. It was also suggested that the Event Viewer could offer an indication. I know how to open the Event Viewer but no idea how to interpret the information it holds.
This problem is driving me mad to the extent that I'm considering buying an iMac so could anyone at least suggest how I can extract the appropriate information from my Event Viewer?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If it is one particular webpage, there is perhaps a rogue plugin or element that is crashing your browser - perhaps in combination with anti-malware software you are using. I've had the same thing happen, often thanks to poor implementation of "Flash" elements.

To use event viewer, you'd likely need to have a look at Windows Logs > Application and then look for any Error/Warning alerts that appear at the time of the crash. If you can find one, please paste in the text from the "general" box below and I'll take a look at it.

I would also suggest using another browser - perhaps Edge, Chrome or Firefox. Does that page work in those browsers? Internet Explorer is coming to an end, with Microsoft only providing security updates rather than regular improvements (unlike other browsers).

BML

Reaction score
I use Internet Explorer and Google yet when I use Google Chrome the effect is not so profound.

Ask a Question