Internet for limited time only

A

avi12

Hello. Today I upgraded my computer to Windows 10, and since then - it's only causing problems.
When I boot up my computer, I have internet connection for a few minutes only. Then, the Internet disconnects, probably due to incompatible drivers or missing drivers, or something else regarding.
Although my computer is not connected to the internet, my Android device can still be connected to the same network, using Wi-Fi, which means - the problem is with Windows 10.
I tried to turn off and on the router, and to turn off and on the PC. I tried both actions several times.
I also looked at the adapters list, and there discovered that ‫the Ethernet adapter he is disabled, so I re-enable it.
This action only works one time, because then doctor turns off again, and then I must reboot the computer in order to get internet again.
I also tried to right click the adapter and choose Diagnose. It has a chance to solve the problem with the internet one time per boot - but still then, for a limited time until the internet stops working again.
I also tried to enter the troubleshoot wizard for network adapters, but I don't remember it solved something.
I also tried to install the Broadcom NetLink driver, provided by Dell, and even restart the PC, but it didn't solve the problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
If you know which model you have, you may have better luck getting your Broadcom driver directly from the source.
http://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=12
The drivers are near the bottom of the page and the download link is the down arrow on the left side of each listing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I thought you said in your OP that you had a Broadcom NetLink adapter that was causing problems?

A

avi12

That's what it seems. But, I don't have a Broadcom router. That's the adapter. My router is D-Link.
By the way, what's OP?

A

avi12

I think I'll try to format my computer one more time. Windows 10 can't even restart properly without running into an error.
If after the format, Windows 10 won't behave as expected - I'll downgrade to Windows 8.1.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
By the way, what's OP?
OP = Original Post
I don't understand why you seem focused on your router when you said in your OP
my Android device can still be connected to the same network, using Wi-Fi, which means - the problem is with Windows 10.
Suggesting that the driver was problematic (corrupt or less than optimal)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The link I included above has the drivers for Broadcom's network adapters.
Identify yours and pick it from the list.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Broadcom NetLink driver
Where did that information come from?
Open device manager
Expand network adapters
right click the problem adapter and choose properties
go to the details tab,
change the drop down to hardware ids
select the top value in the box below that, right click it and choose copy
paste it into google and see what it shows it is.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like a BCM57788
That would be the top two choices in the driver link I sent you above.
The top on is for 32 bit operating systems NetLink® 57xx (32 bit)
And the next one down is for 64 bit operating systems NetLink® 57xx (x64)

http://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=12

A

avi12

I downloaded the 64-bit version.
I have now 3 files: .cat , .inf , .sys
How do I install the driver?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Device manager.
Expand network adapters
select then right click the problem adapter and choose properties
select the drivers tab and choose the update driver button.
then go through the manual steps.
let me pick
browse my computer
have disk
browse to the folder containing the three files above
(that's from memory but I hope you get the gist)
double click the .inf file and then click next and follow the bouncing ball.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I have exactly the same issue. Same hardware only I already had the latest driver, installed again anyway .... so frustrating especially when my computer doesn't have a PCI adapter for me to switch to test.

It's definitely the upgrade since no other device has the problem and I never did before. Tried so many different configs it unbelievable.

Hope the OP solves his problem but I will just have to thrash out several more ideas. Next try is to uninstall VPN in case there is the very remote chance there is a conflict there. Other Win7 here I come !

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello @GWPetes and welcome to the forum.
You might consider any third party programs including security suites (Norton, McAfees, Comodo, AVG, etc.,).
Sometimes they can cause networking issues, that are very difficult to diagnose.
It may be worth the effort to consider uninstalling these through the programs and features applet in control panel and follow that up with the vendor specific proprietary removal tool.
You can always reinstall them if they prove not to be an issue.

Reaction score
Hi,

I installed Windows 10 one week back and have been experiencing the same problems as posted by avi12 in the original post dated July 30,2015 - my android phone is able to connect to my wifi connection at home but Dell Inspiron keeps losing connectivity. Attached is a screenshot of the different Network hardware on my laptop can you please advise Which is the one I need to upgrade to remedy the wifi connectivity problem?
network capture.PNG

Ask a Question