Interrupted File Download

Reaction score
Left a large file downloading. Checked its progress and found "download was interrupted" message (I am experiencing dropouts in my broadband service at the moment). I clicked the "Resume" button and got a "Resuming" response, but it stayed on the screen for three hours with so sign of any progress happening. Am I missing something?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check the Power Management Tab in the properties dialog box of the network adapter you are using to facilitate these downloads and confirm that the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked
IF it is a wireless USB Dongle that you are using, do likewise for your USB Hubs in Device manager.
Otherwise check your advanced power plan options if you are using a wireless adapter and confirm that it is set for Maximum Performance.

Reaction score
Thanks for that - I found a number of USB Hubs that were allowed to power off so unchecked them. The Ethernet adapter was also set so unchecked that as well. Now on the 8th attempt at the download!

Reaction score
It didn't help though as the broadband dropped out again, so my original question remains; if Windows says "download interrupted" and I click the "Resume" button, what should happen? (At the moment it just hangs, seemingly for ever). Should it start again from the beginning or pick up from where it was interrupted?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When it resumes it should be able to ask and acknowledge the present state of the download and resume from approximately where it left off.
What browser are you using?

Reaction score
All it did was hang - after three hours I gave up and shut down.

I'm using Microsoft Edge.

I tried again yesterday evening; the broadband stayed up and a four-hour download completed successfully. I'll have to wait until the next time it happens to investigate the resume process further.

Many thanks for your advice.

Ask a Question