SOLVED IP reverts to Fixed

Reaction score
I have several laptops. All are running on Windows 10. Most are under a domain from my Server 2016 Essentials.

All is well and good at home. When I attempt a connection elsewhere, I am unable to connect to the Internet. I do connect to whatever mobile sever (Starbucks, etc) but I do not connect to the Internet.

I found that Ipv4 is seeking a default DNS server that just happens to be house server for Server 2016 Essential.
I have "flushed" the IP stack.
I have manually reset Ipv4 to "Obtain an IP dynamically.
I have deleted 192.168.1.10 for the advanced DNS Lookup.

EVERY time I reboot it all goes back to 192.168.1.10 !

Any ideas. Grandchild is have fits connecting to the Internet at school.

A manual reset temporarily allow Internet access. It will NOT keep that setting!

Thank you

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this. I personally have never worked with a domain....11 years ago I had 'my people' to do that stuff.

Seems to me that the individual workstations should be getting their DHCP info ( ip, mask, dns, gateway) from the router. If the domain server is the router then it should, I think just be passing that stuff through OR it should set the DNS that it passes through a real DNS ( I use 8.8.8.8 and 2001:4680:4680::8888) or, if you have bought a domain name do they supply public DNS?

If you are using a commercial fiirewall between your router and domain server or if you are trying to provide a protected internet environment then you need a better and more uptodate network guy than me.

Reaction score
Thanks to all.
Yes, the router is 198.162.1.254 and yes, the server has taken over this function in Server 2016 Essentials.
All is well if I am at home. On the go, a fixed IP will not get me Internet.

That said, one of the (many, many) MS upgrades (and updates) probably caused this malady.
I finally gave up and restored an image from 25 May.
After 6 hours of updates and workarounds, the laptop works as it should.

Moral of the story is to keep backups (in depth).

Ask a Question