Is an MS Account a requirement?

Reaction score
I have never signed in with a MS Account always had a local account. Last night when I was logged into my local Admin account a notification popped up "Windows not activated sign into Microsoft Account" Is signing in with a MS account a new requirement with the Spring Update 1803. I signed out of the Admin account, signed into my daily user local account and the screen resolution had changed to default and my mouse didn't work. I'm back up and running after restoring a recent image, mouse is working too. Can anyone enlighten me as to what just happened?

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is signing in with a MS account a new requirement with the Spring Update 1803.
Not that I'm aware of.
Can anyone enlighten me as to what just happened?
I wish I could, but....
I'm pretty sure that IF I had that skill set....
I'd be a multi-millionaire from lottery winnings or Vegas gambling winnings.

Everyone of my machines, I use a MS account almost exclusively, but....
My wife's computer has a local user account only and has never had an MS account on it for any reason and she has never reported anything like you describe having happened to her.
AND
She pretty much yells for me every time her screen flashes
SO I'm pretty sure I would have heard about it.

Reaction score
We always sign on to our machines and always with a Microsoft account. I have sometimes wondered if this is why we have survived W10 ( and the Insider program) without 90% of the problems that have been reported here.

Reaction score
Yes it's a strange this should happen after the 1803 update. I tried signing in to create a MS account but it said the site was unavailable? I couldn't use the mouse so I booted up (F12) into the bios the mouse was working again? selected boot from USB and reinstalled from a clean 1803 image. All is working fine right now. I'll keep you posted of any further events. Thanks!
Does it not inform you in settings if your machine is activated? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Reaction score
Press the Windows key and Pause at the same time or right-click the Start button, choose System, it's on the bottom of the page.

Reaction score
Do none of you remember a couple of builds ago the statements about your system being tied to a Microsoft Account?

I know it had to go to a Microsoft to decrypt my system with would encrypt automatically and I know you have to verify your Microsoft account before you can sync you data. You might check and make sure it is activated and verified if you us that. Once it is set, maybe you can go back to the Local Account.

The info if on the Settings - Updates and Activation link.

Reaction score
Never had a warning about activation until the 1803 upgrade. I just checked the settings > System it said "Windows 10 is not activated" Clicked on "Related settings" and believe it or not my PC activated Windows. Checked my laptop as I updated it to 1803 same message in settings "Windows 10 is not activated" Clicked on "Related settings" and it also activated windows. ???
I'm not marking as solved as there may be more members with similar issues.

Reaction score
Not sure if there is an issue with activations and 1803. But I do know that activations are tied to your MS account. When I had to change my motherboard a few months ago I got the Windows not activated message. I have a MS account but never use it. I had to log into my MS account and try to activate Windows over the next 3 days due to their servers always being down. But finally Windows did activate. I then logged back into my local account. All has been good since. Again not sure if the activations thing with 1803 is a new glitch or what. But your MS account is tied to Windows activation.

Reaction score
I never use a MS account to sign in my computers, always have a local account. Even when upgrading to Version 1803 I never had to sign in with an MS account.

Reaction score
Recap of events. I have 3 PCs, Two Dell Optiplex 760, one Dell Inspiron Laptop.
Updated all three machines on May 5th or thereabouts with 1803 USB Image media tool.
My Dell Optiplex (daily user) had been showing a message in the bottom right corner ""Windows not activated sign into Microsoft Account"
On Tuesday evening I signed into my Local Admin account in an attempt to create a MS account but the servers were down. I attempted to run the MS activation troubleshooter and received a message " You will be unable to personalize your PC, until you sign into a MS Account and activate Windows.
Signed out of my admin acct.and logged into my local user account. This is where it got ulgy, the desktop had huge icons (default I guess) and my wireless mouse was inoperative. Shut PC down restarted and set boot to USB and reinstalled a clean backup (first) image of 1803.
This AM I asked (post 4) where to find if Windows was activated I couldn't remember, thanks to @Bighorn I found it. Opened Settings > System and the text showed Windows wasn't activated, on the same page clicked on clicked on "Related settings" and Windows 10 activated immediately.
Performed the same as above on my Dell Laptop and it too activated immediately.

It's all way over my head, if we could figure out what Microsoft is up to we would all be NASA Scientist's
MS are good at telling us what's new, it's what they don't tell us causes unnecessary grief, and productivity loss. I believe the glitch is with the Spring Update 1803 it effected 3 PC's.

Reaction score
I had a similar issue after doing a clean install of 1803 on my laptop. I activated by phone. Windows key + R to bring up the run box. Type slui.exe 4 then ok. Select region and you'll be given a phone number. Follow the instructions over the phone.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/activate-windows-8-by-phone

I've had to phone activate every version of Windows at one time or another. It's a pain in the butt, but at least you don't have to use a microsoft account to activate that way.

Reaction score
Well it's a good idea to login to your PC using you MS account especially if you did the free upgrade. MS was getting too many calls when people added any hardware because the Digital Entitlement created during the upgrade only identified hardware and didn't link to you. So MS made in i believe 2016 spring update a link to your MS account to your Digital entitlement to make activation work without having to call MS.

Reaction score
I never use a MS account to sign in my computers, always have a local account. Even when upgrading to Version 1803 I never had to sign in with an MS account.

Good for you. But have you ever changed a motherboard in your computer? I'll bet you won't be able to activate Windows 10 with just your local account.

Reaction score
Even adding memory could cause an issue. Its good to login to MS account at least once so it syncs your account with your hardware.

Reaction score
OK If I create a MS account will one MS account handle 3 PCs, or will I have to create a separate account for each PC.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sure.
I use the same MS Account on my Desktop, Laptop and Phone.
Just be aware that the accounts sync, so you need to keep that in mind, but...
IF you are not actually going to use it for anything other than coordinating your computer and its' activation by associating it also with your MS Account, there is nothing much to consider as the account won't contain much to sync.

Reaction score
Trouble Thanks for your response, it's appreciated. I learned something new today.

Reaction score
Good for you. But have you ever changed a motherboard in your computer? I'll bet you won't be able to activate Windows 10 with just your local account.
Well, my computers that are running on Windows 10 are all laptops...;)

Reaction score
OK If I create a MS account will one MS account handle 3 PCs, or will I have to create a separate account for each PC.

Your MS account info is stored on the MS server. Not locally so it shares setting with all devices. Things like wall papers, favorites or any info you use with logging into something with your account. You can also use it on phones and tablets to access your MS stuff like OneDrive in Android. When you get a new computer you sign in all your favorites are available on the pc. This is also the same with using your Google account on a windows PC you chrome setup will be the same on all pc or any device you login to with that account.

Ask a Question