Is there any way to force the download of Updates?

Reaction score
When I check for updates, I find the system stuck in "Preparing to install updates 0%" (see screen capture attached). I ran an update troubleshooter offered by Microsoft which "fixed" something but the "fixing" didn't change anything/. Is there any way to force the system to download and install updates? Any ides will be appreciated... My system is Win 10 Pro.

Attachments

• updates.JPG
    updates.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 561
Reaction score
I have seen my system sit like you show for quite some time. If I feel it is taking longer that I expected I might try restarting the system to allow completion of prior update installs.

I have never run the diagnostic but are you showing any messages in the Event Viewer regarding Updates or are you seeing any error messages while doing manual check for updates?

Reaction score
I have repeatedly shut down the system and started it again. No solution. I cannot decipher the mystical references in the event viewer but I have discovered a series of Errors on June 22 (see attached capture). No error messages when checking for updates...

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 703
Reaction score
If you look at the Event Viewer, the DCOM errors should show an APPID which is a GUID number.

You can open regedit.exe an look in the key referenced or do a search for that number. Clicking on the number should tell you what is being referenced. Possibly whatever it is has some permission problems caused by a problem with Win 10 or some other utility blocking access.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID

If the diagnostic did not work, make sure you ran it as admin.

Reaction score
Found a solution: Go to Local Disk (C) >windows>Software Distribution>Download // select all in Download and delete as administrator - restart computer - updates begin downloading and installing.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know.
I thought that, that was one of the things that the troubleshooter actually performed when it ran.
Nice to know that it doesn't.

Ask a Question