Is this a real e-mail?

Reaction score
I did recieve an e-email some days ago, send from (e-mail address removed) with links in the message. I am not amused to use the links. Is this a real Microsoft mail or not?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What did the e-mail contain? It could be a real address, but the content of the e-mail would be the giveaway.

Was it one entitled "Your Services Agreement made clearer "? If so, it looks legitimate. I had the same e-mail recently.

Reaction score
Your service agreement clarified
You receive this email because the Microsoft services agreement is being updated. The agreement applies to one or more Microsoft products and services that you use. The updates are intended to clarify our conditions, so that they are transparent for everyone. The updates also cover new Microsoft products, services and features.
The Microsoft Services Agreement is an agreement between you and Microsoft (or one of its affiliates) that applies to your use of Microsoft's online consumer services and products.
You can read the full Microsoft services agreement here. More information about these updates, including an overview of the most important changes, can be found here on our Frequently Asked Questions page. The updated Microsoft services agreement will enter into force on May 1, 2018. If you continue to use our products and services after May 1, 2018, you agree to the updated Microsoft Services Agreement.
If you do not agree, you can choose to stop using the products and services and close your Microsoft account before the terms come into effect. If you are a parent or guardian, you are responsible for the use of the Microsoft products and services by your child or teenager, including purchases.
Thank you for using Microsoft products and services

This mail was in Dutch; this is a translation by Google. The links are marked here..

Reaction score
Microsoft does not send emails to users on their own. It has to be initiated by the user. I wonder if the links embedded are redirects to get your MS account data.....
Sounds phishy....

Reaction score
I agree with Grizzly.
I deleted mine as soon as I saw it.
Hackers have sent out this kind of Email. alleging to be from MS, on previous occasions.
No harm done if it is deleted, it is only information.
But, investigation on the web seems to indicate that , although an identical copy of similar emails sent in the past, it is legit. Best hint I have read is that it connected to, and referring to Skype in particular, and other items in the Store.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The email looks legit to me and I've checked all of the links in the e-mail I got and they're all pointing to the MS site, which references these upcoming changes in this FAQ:

We are updating the Microsoft Services Agreement, which applies to your use of Microsoft consumer online products and services. We’re making these updates to clarify our terms and ensure that they remain transparent for you, as well as to cover new Microsoft products, services and features.

These updates, which are summarised below, will take effect on 1 May 2018. If you continue to use our products or services on or after 1 May 2018, you are agreeing to the updated terms of the Microsoft Services Agreement.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/servicesagreement/upcoming-faq.aspx

I got this as I use Office 365 - but Skype and XBOX are also mentioned in the FAQ.

Ask a Question