Is Windows 10 Free?

Is Windows 10 Free?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Is Windows 10 Free? - A detailed article explaining if you qualify for a free Windows 10 license.

There has been some confusion about the licensing of Windows 10 and if indeed it is a free operating system. Some people will qualify for a free update, others will need to purchase the operating system as normal.

f you are already running Windows 7 (SP1) or Windows 8.1, then you will no doubt have been prompted to update to Windows 10. If you proceed to update before 29 July 2016 then it is indeed free! This date may be extended closer to the time, but as things stand this is...

Read more about this article...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I thought that strictly it was W7 SP1 or W8 with the 8.1 'service pack' applied.

Reaction score
Ian submitted a new article:

Is Windows 10 Free? - A detailed article explaining if you qualify for a free Windows 10 license.

Read more about this article...
I have just a new ASUS computer but did not like the way they had set up the partitions. I reformatted the hard drive and loaded Windows 10 from a download ISO file from the MS Windows 10 website. The new computer did not come with any original installation disks or a product code (most annoying) and so the Activation tab shows that the OS is activated with a product ID and key that I do not recognise. Should I change the product key to my original Windows 7 product key? Regretfully, I could not load Windows 7 onto the new ASUS computer and carryout an upgrade as the system would not recognise any of the drivers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have just a new ASUS computer... the Activation tab shows that the OS is activated with a product ID and key that I do not recognize.... Should I change the product key to my original Windows 7 product key?
Nope, just leave it as it is.
The product key is likely embedded in the BIOS and should be associated with that computer for the life of the computer.
It seems an unnecessary waste of a product key to use your old Windows 7 product key.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was just reading this article
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2957...y-free-the-subtle-new-world-of-built-in-costs
And was thinking ..... HEY! That's a good point.
It's going to use a license that I previously owned (paid for) by virtue of having owned a Windows 7 or 8 computer, so that's not actually free.
AND the discussion about how most "consumers" never or seldom ever actually upgrade their Operating System (out of pocket), they just keep whatever came on their computer until they buy a new one.
AND the strategy of the Windows "as a service" function's means of soliciting you to upgrade various components (OneDrive to buy additional storage, Solitaire to purchase a premium subscription, etc.,) might suggest that the other shoe hasn't actually dropped yet.
And with other developments like this http://arstechnica.com/information-...gles-plan-to-make-chromes-flash-click-to-play going on, I'm wondering if there is more in the pipeline that we can expect to see. Like if "Click to Play" might actually become "Click to Pay"
Maybe hanging on to my old Windows 7 computer is not such a bad idea after all.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

There are some very valid points in that article and I think this part sums up all the reasoning:

Apple and Google have conditioned users to expect free operating system updates

People nowadays expect to buy a device, then the OS continues to get updates for as long as the hardware can support it. It's a smart move for MS, because they're missing out on all of the revenue that the Apple App Store and Google Play store have been raking in... although I'm not sure how this would work out for consumers. Perhaps it'll mean software costs go down, as people move over to apps - maybe we'll just end up paying for things that were previously free.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score

Ask a Question