Is Windows Defender Any Good?

Reaction score
I have a fully patched Windows 10 machine, but I have just been using Windows Defender as I thought it would be better than a free anti-virus like AVG or Avira. I saw on the news sometime ago that a software developer said it's the most secure of the main anti virus solutions.

But it now looks like Windows Defender had some security problem last week that could take over machines really easily.

What should I do? Do I continue to use Defender, or should I switch to a paid product?

If I bought some anti-virus software, would Windows Defender run anyway, so I have two layers of protection?

Bif

Reaction score
In my opinion Defender is as good as the next AV programme paid or otherwise, the nice thing that Defender offers is a seamless OS integration unlike most if not all others.
The safest way to stay clean is to practice safe browsing habits.
I personally use ONLY Defender and Malwarebytes free as an on demand scan.

Reaction score
Defender is the best that MS have to offer.
Windows Defender will disable by default when another 3 party AV program is installed.

Reaction score
I have a fully patched Windows 10 machine, but I have just been using Windows Defender as I thought it would be better than a free anti-virus like AVG or Avira. I saw on the news sometime ago that a software developer said it's the most secure of the main anti virus solutions.

But it now looks like Windows Defender had some security problem last week that could take over machines really easily.

What should I do? Do I continue to use Defender, or should I switch to a paid product?

If I bought some anti-virus software, would Windows Defender run anyway, so I have two layers of protection?

I totally agree with Bif - Defender + Malwarebytes free as an on demand scan, assuming you follow good browsing habits and don't download anything you're not sure about.

Regedit32

Reaction score
There is one thing Defender Security Center does not do that many other antivirus programs do.

Defender relies on up to date Definitions, so when you can it checks files against that list to determine whether they are safe or not. If the Definition list is not up to date, or does not include the most recent threats yet, then it will potentially miss something that is unsafe.

Likewise, other antivirus products also rely on up to date definitions or heuristics. However, some of them have a fail safe check. So even if the definitions or heuristics are not completely up to date, they can still spot when a file if executed will act in a suspicious manner similar to another type of known virus/malware, and in this case it will warn you.

Hopefully, Windows Defender will move to that fail safe step too. It can work this way if you use the Smartscreen Filter in conjunction with Defender, but ideally, Microsoft will upgrade Defender to be a little more robust in due course.

Reaction score
There is one thing Defender Security Center does not do that many other antivirus programs do.

Defender relies on up to date Definitions, so when you can it checks files against that list to determine whether they are safe or not. If the Definition list is not up to date, or does not include the most recent threats yet, then it will potentially miss something that is unsafe.

Likewise, other antivirus products also rely on up to date definitions or heuristics. However, some of them have a fail safe check. So even if the definitions or heuristics are not completely up to date, they can still spot when a file if executed will act in a suspicious manner similar to another type of known virus/malware, and in this case it will warn you.

Hopefully, Windows Defender will move to that fail safe step too. It can work this way if you use the Smartscreen Filter in conjunction with Defender, but ideally, Microsoft will upgrade Defender to be a little more robust in due course.

What is Smartscreen Filter? I am not familiar with that product at all. Thanks, rick

Reaction score
I'm not sure if we will see a smart screen filter with Defender any time soon, they are just not into the AV programming like other AV products. MS have always been slow to update Defender definitions.
Other AV programs are way ahead of them when it comes to definition updates and warn you when an update is required. A prime example is CCleaner, I know it"s not an AV program, but, they have several updates daily.
I guess that's why Defender disables itself by default when you install another 3rd party AV program. MS don't want to show domination of the AV market as they have done with Windows 10.
Just my opinion! I use Avira and Mambam Premium on my PCs and the Grand-kids machines, nothing ever gets through, they also warn you of unsafe sites. I'm extremely happy with both Avira, and Malwarebytes Premium.

Regedit32

Reaction score
What is Smartscreen Filter?

Hi again.

Smartscreen filtering is built into Windows Defender Security Center. It helps block dangerous sites both within Microsoft Edge browser, and Windows Store, by filtering data coming from the site to check whether it contains malicious coding.

If you open the Windows Defender Security Center then click on App & browser control you'll see your options for Smartscreen there.

Reaction score
Hi to all,
W10 forum is a wonderful location to get feedback and resolution to W10 issues. I totally disagree with Norton even tough, MS is not into creating AV programs etc; what they have done is to create a seamless AV program that runs extremely well w/ MS EDGE and Firefox. Is it a perfect system--and I think most will agree that it is not. With respect to receiving and updating definitions; I am running W10 version 1703 on two laptops and get definition update at 4-5x weekly. Over the years I have paid a lot of $$ to Avast, Norton, McAfee just to name few but their performance has been dismal. They tend to be very intrusive, memory hogs. Then I have switched over to free AV such as, Avast, AVG with similar results but this time with many ads. I have used CCleaner for many years but have since stopped using it when it started to make changes to my registry. My only recommendation to MS is to show what definitions are being downloaded. Just keep in mind that if one decides to be reckless w/ their internet searchs and practices and abandon common sense while opening emails etc--and expect their AV to save them. Good luck.

Ask a Question