SOLVED Issue following Win 10 Upgrade(s). Mail won't launch

Reaction score
I have installed upgrades KB3139907 (3 Mar 2016), KB3140768 (12 Mar 2016), KB3140741 (22 Mar 2016).

Since then Mail won't launch. The tile is there in the Start area, but when I touch on it to launch Mail, nothing happens. If I left-touch the tile (I'm left handed so I've reversed the mouse buttons), I can get Unpin / Resize / More, and More tells me that Mail is installed.

Other tiles in the Start area work correctly. The taskbar icon has disappeared, leaving an empty gap.

If I go to Control Panel / Programs / Default Programs / Set Defaults, Calendar and Mail are both listed, but neither has an icon against it (all the other programs do). Both programs are indicated as having all defaults.

I'm guessing that one of the updates has changed or deleted a runtime file. Can anyone help?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi InspectorBucket,

Before doing anything else check your Privacy settings for Mail and Calendar. They need to be on for the Mail App to function well.
  • Press Winkey + I | click Privacy | in left pane click Calendar | in right pane is Mail and Calendar ON
  • Press Winkey + I | click Privacy | in left pane click Email | in right pane is Mail and Calendar ON

OK the other unfortunate issue with Mail App bundled in Windows 10 is it does not come with a simple reset option.

That means ultimately you might need to uninstall the Mail App, then return to Windows Store and install it again.

If it get's to that scenario, then here's how to go about that:

To Uninstall Mail App and Calendar

Note: This will remove ALL settings for Mail & Calendar. You will need to manually reset your accounts afterwards when you reinstall the Mail and Calendar from Windows Store.
  • In search box type Windows Powershell | then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open as Administrator
  • In the Powershell console type or copy & paste the following command:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps | Remove-AppxPackage
  • Press Enter key to execute above command
  • Type Exit | then press Enter key to close Powershell console.
  • Restart computer

Now you need to go to Store and search for Mail & Calendar, and download and install.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi InspectorBucket,

Before doing anything else check your Privacy settings for Mail and Calendar. They need to be on for the Mail App to function well.
  • Press Winkey + I | click Privacy | in left pane click Calendar | in right pane is Mail and Calendar ON
  • Press Winkey + I | click Privacy | in left pane click Email | in right pane is Mail and Calendar ON

OK the other unfortunate issue with Mail App bundled in Windows 10 is it does not come with a simple reset option.

That means ultimately you might need to uninstall the Mail App, then return to Windows Store and install it again.

If it get's to that scenario, then here's how to go about that:

To Uninstall Mail App and Calendar

Note: This will remove ALL settings for Mail & Calendar. You will need to manually reset your accounts afterwards when you reinstall the Mail and Calendar from Windows Store.
  • In search box type Windows Powershell | then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open as Administrator
  • In the Powershell console type or copy & paste the following command:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps | Remove-AppxPackage
  • Press Enter key to execute above command
  • Type Exit | then press Enter key to close Powershell console.
  • Restart computer
Now you need to go to Store and search for Mail & Calendar, and download and install.

Regards,

Regedit32
Hello Regedit32,

Thanks for your very clear and helpful reply, but unfortunately no improvement.

The privacy settings for Calendar and Email are both ON. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Mail App, but still get the same symptoms i.e When I touch the Mail tile, nothing happens. I changed the password on my Mail account just in case, any particular other settings I need to check?

Thanks again and regards,

InspectorBucket

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Inspector Bucket,

Off hand I cannot think of any other settings that would prevent the Mail App from opening, although if Syncing was out of step that may cause troubles receiving or sending email. However given you cannot actual open the Mail app that for now is not an issue we need to address.

Have you tried the Microsoft Windows Store Apps troubleshooter yet?

You can get it from here, and it may resolve the issue for you: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

You could also consider going to Windows Store, then:
  • On the top right bar just before the search box you'll see a circle icon (probably grey if you hade no all ready edited it). That is your Account icon: left click it
  • Next in the menu that appears click Downloads & updates
  • In the window that opens in the top right corner click the button: Check for updates
  • It'll take a moment to populate, but if you are lucky there may be an update for your Mail App or some other update than when applied may also resolve your issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Inspector Bucket,

Off hand I cannot think of any other settings that would prevent the Mail App from opening, although if Syncing was out of step that may cause troubles receiving or sending email. However given you cannot actual open the Mail app that for now is not an issue we need to address.

Have you tried the Microsoft Windows Store Apps troubleshooter yet?

You can get it from here, and it may resolve the issue for you: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

You could also consider going to Windows Store, then:
  • On the top right bar just before the search box you'll see a circle icon (probably grey if you hade no all ready edited it). That is your Account icon: left click it
  • Next in the menu that appears click Downloads & updates
  • In the window that opens in the top right corner click the button: Check for updates
  • It'll take a moment to populate, but if you are lucky there may be an update for your Mail App or some other update than when applied may also resolve your issue.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thanks again for that. The Apps troubleshooter gave me a clean bill of health, and the only update was for Microsoft Phone, which is probably an irrelevance.

I'm not without email; I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which I prefer, as it allows me to create folders in which to store old emails, but it would be nice to have an alternative available if needs be.

I have looked at other threads on what look like the same problem; one suggested running DISM, which I tried, but with no succes. I appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Thanks again for that. The Apps troubleshooter gave me a clean bill of health, and the only update was for Microsoft Phone, which is probably an irrelevance.

I'm not without email; I use Mozilla Thunderbird, which I prefer, as it allows me to create folders in which to store old emails, but it would be nice to have an alternative available if needs be.

I have looked at other threads on what look like the same problem; one suggested running DISM, which I tried, but with no succes. I appreciate your help.
My system has just been updated with KB3152599 and KB3156421 (Windows 10 Version 1511 and updates), and my Windows 10 Mail has been restored. Happy now (I hope)!

Ask a Question