It's failed again!

Reaction score
Just installed Win 10 for the 2nd time (previously did so in August). Same problems, despite updating my drivers: - eg, WinKey didn't work, all Jump Lists gone (and Taskbar Properties didn't have any option to enable them), and Edge failed with "Class Not Registered" message. Problems persisted after a reboot, so I've gone back to 8.1. What a waste of time and energy (mine!). I've installed virtually every edition of Windows going back to 3.1, and never had such problems. I doubt if I'll bother again, even though I'm usually a Microsoft fan!

Reaction score
Sir, I feel your pain. Today is my fifth attempt to install Windows 10. This has been a nightmare. I've not had a fully working computer since the first attempt in August (2015). Neither upgrades from 8.1 or now a clean install is working. (The clean install procedure failed only minutes ago. I thought that would surely fix any problems. Wrong!)

Message to Microsoft: You clearly don't care about your customers. Otherwise, why so many hassles and all the nightmare stories? Why so little help and support? I've used every MS OS since Microsoft's inception and no other OS or upgrade/installation has presented so many problems. I would think you're getting better at this, but clearly you've gone far downhill instead. I no longer must use Windows for work so Apple will be given serious consideration for future purchases.

Reaction score
But there are millions of customers who have upgraded successfully (me, on my third attempt, but I'm fussy).

So, what is different about your install from others?

Alan

Reaction score
Sir, I feel your pain. Today is my fifth attempt to install Windows 10. This has been a nightmare. I've not had a fully working computer since the first attempt in August (2015). Neither upgrades from 8.1 or now a clean install is working. (The clean install procedure failed only minutes ago. I thought that would surely fix any problems. Wrong!)

Message to Microsoft: You clearly don't care about your customers. Otherwise, why so many hassles and all the nightmare stories? Why so little help and support? I've used every MS OS since Microsoft's inception and no other OS or upgrade/installation has presented so many problems. I would think you're getting better at this, but clearly you've gone far downhill instead. I no longer must use Windows for work so Apple will be given serious consideration for future purchases.

I would go back to what you were using before Windows 10. Personally I would notr have tried 5 times.

Reaction score
If your installs aren't working, it's most likely an incompatibility with some piece of hardware. And since you guys didn't post your detailed specs, no one can help you.

Reaction score
Thanks John - I've bookmarked that link and will study it in detail if I screw up the courage to try again!

Reaction score
radcliffe the only driver i needed was a nvidia geforce graphic driver and it was supplied for win10

if you have speccy installed you can view the spects of your system and get the drivers necessary for win10 or find out what devices are supported on win10

Reaction score
For your urgent attention!!!"

remove those txt files immediately. Delete the keys (Office: IE: OS) then repost.

Reaction score
If you are Willing (?) Disable, or uninstall, Avast before you attempt the next upgrade.

Reaction score
Happy to do that, Dave - is it really likely to be the problem? And I removed the text file as you requested.

Reaction score
Worth a try. Yeah. The txt file. You don't publish your keys on the web!!

Reaction score
Windows Defender is built in. It is a basic, no frills, regularly virus updated antivirus program.

It is backed up by a "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool", on a monthly basis, which does a quick scan of you computer when not in use.

There are many complaints regarding its inadequacies. The jury may be still out on that onw.

Reaction score
I've got Avast on one machine and Windows defender on the other one. The main difference seems to be the email checking. I haven't seen any issues with the one running WD.

Reaction score
At the third or fourth time of asking, it's finally succeeded! I uninstalled Avast, which probably helped!

Now - how can I change the colour of the window borders?

Ask a Question