SOLVED Job Stuck in Print Queue - Won't Delete

Reaction score
I have an HP Photosmart 5520 and cannot print from it.

I have found that there is a job in the print queue and have tried to get rid of it. It just continually says deleting, but it is stuck.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Lynn,

First you want to check the printer itself is not indicating an issue; for example a paper jam, or ink is too low and a cartridge needs replacing. If something like this is going on, then the print queue will be inaccessible until you remedy that.

Assuming though, that there are no issues with the printer, then you can manually refresh the Printer queue (i.e. delete what is in the queue) doing the following:
  • Press Windows key and R key to open your run dialog window
  • In the run dialog window type services.msc then click OK
  • When the Services window opens scroll down and right-click on Print Spooler then select Restart

Now see whether you can print something

If that does not help you can download a tool from Hewlett Packard that is designed to diagnose printing issues and attempt to repair any issues automatically for you from here: http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-926&h_lang=en&h_client=s-h-e013-1&h_keyword=dg-NDU

Note: It's a large file to download (10 megabytes) so consider trying the other ideas first perhaps.

If that too is of no help then you could open your Print Queue window and select Printer then check that Pause printing or printer offline are not checked! If they are checked then the issue you wrote of will occur.

Sample image of Print Queue window

hp.png

Other than that I can only think of the ultimate fix being a reinstallation of the Printer and its drivers.

Hopefully, you won't need to go that far.

Let us know how you go.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Seen this before on HP printers on W10. Hard boot the printer by unplugging it from both power and signal.

Then reboot the PC. When I have seen this on two different HP printers and 3 different PCs it has come up and worked until the next time....months away!

If this doesn't work then follow Regedit32.

Reaction score
Tried the first option from Regedit32 which worked.

Brilliant thank you so very much.

Ask a Question