SOLVED just wondering if possible.

Reaction score
Is it possible to set up Windows Explorer to show a warning that a folder already exists before the files are moved/copied? You do get a warning if you try to overwrite files

I had a folder of pictures with the name "Set 10" and moved it to another drive that happened to have a "Set 10" folder already. The file names in the two folders were different so there was no overwriting. It would have been nice to see some kind of warning or alert that there was already a folder there with that name so I didn't have to go in later and manually split up the file into two separate folders the way I intended.

Any suggestions.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi artoo,

Windows 8 introduced a new Folder Option called Hide folder merge conflicts which by default is checked.

This same option has continued with Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10.

With that option checked you will still get the warning about identical files being over written, but no warning about folders with the same name.

To get a warning about this and thus prevent a folder inside another folder scenario like you are experiencing:
  • Open File Explorer
  • Click File > Change folder and search options
  • Click the View tab
  • Remove the check next to Hide folder merge conflicts
  • Click Apply
  • Click OK

Sample image of what I am talking about
Folder Merger.png

Remove the check next to that item in red box
Regards,

Regedit32

Ask a Question